Junkers Ju.192 "Schnellbomber TL"

Started by Spey_Phantom, June 02, 2020, 06:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

this is an old Luft'46 project that has ben gathering dust for a couple of years.
its basicly a jet conversion of the Huma 1/72 Junkers Ju288. im swapping out the straight wings and radial engines for a swept wing and tail (sourced from a Revell 1/48 F-84F Thunderstreak) and 4 Junkers Jumo 004b jet engines (sourced from scrapped Me262's).

im still working on the backstory, im also looking at different engine configurations, still havnt decided on what to go with.
im also thinking of upping it to 6 engines, sourced from a Revell Ar.555, but that could make the aircraft too thirsty.

here's a dry fit of the different engine configurations im looking into atm.
in the first 2, the engines would be mounted on the top of the wing, the last one is mounted underneath.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

This is going to be interesting  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Dizzyfugu

That's looking cool. As an alternative for the engine arrangement, how about putting a pair under the wing roots (B-51-esque) and another pair under the wings outside of the landing gear? Placing them on top of the wings looks a bit awkward to me - even though I understand the problem where to put them!

comrade harps

Whatever.

Spey_Phantom

Update:

work has begun on the build, i started with building the inside parts, but i had to make some modifications.
the bomb bay will be shortened to make room for a nosewheel undercarriage. also im gonna have to fit smaller bombs as the fuselage of the Ju288 is quite narrow.

wings have also been painted on the inside and gleued together.
next up is more work on the cockpit and sourcing previously mentioned bombs.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Update:

After months of gathering dust, i have restarted work on this project. i mated the wings with the fuselage yesterday, wasnt going that easy but i did it. i also put the engine naceles in a bath of a paint stripping cocktail (50% degreaser and 50% water) and let it soak for 24 hours.

today, the parts were taken out of the bath, brushed off with an old toothbrush and are now completly paintfree.
however, im still trying to figure out the engine arangement, i was thinking of making the together on the tail, more like a VC10 and add a V-shaped tailplane.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

stevehed

Strange. I like 30's to 1940 and then jump to early jets. Looking forward to this one.

Gondor

I find it amazing that you have a Huma Ju288 to kit-bash when I am looking for a decently priced one for my stash. Perhaps you could do what the Germans did with their forward swept plane and the Americans with their XB-51, put two engines one each side of the fuselage just behind the cockpit?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The Huma kit is the only injection 288 on the market, isn't it?

I have one in the loft, and I recall it cost a bomb some years back when I got it. Are they still in production?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 06, 2021, 03:45:13 AM

I have one in the loft, and I recall it cost a bomb some years back when I got it. Are they still in production?

No they are not.  Airmodel do a vacuform version of it.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Huma ceased production a couple of years ago Kit . One rumour I heard was that the moulds had been destroyed according to a clause in the founders will ? But we all know what rumours are like
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on April 06, 2021, 06:13:23 AM

No they are not.  Airmodel do a vacuform version of it.

;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

The Airmodel kit is one of the early ones, the V.4 I think, definitely with BMW801 rather than Jumo 222.  The Huma one was the C variant that got close to production.

There were masters done by Toad Resins for both types, but whilst I know who had them as late as 1999, I don't who has them now for sure, although I do have some suspicion.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Rick Lowe

I like the paired engine configuration, what about having them in Comet/Nimrod style, at the wing roots? Not buried, but at that location.
Or, at the wing roots but one under and one over the wing?