Farley Frigatebird FINISHED

Started by The Rat, May 29, 2020, 08:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

1 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

"Well, Jenkins, what does the irrepressible Mr. Farley have for us this time?" "An autogyro, Sir." "Really? I thought they were rather an antiquated idea. Do you think we should pursue it?" "Yes, Sir, it does have unique capabilities that could be of use in a number of areas. As a naval spotter it could take off from a small pad on a ship and land back on it. It would give them an ability to immediately check on possible threats instead of calling for patrol aircraft that might take a while getting there."

Lord Beaverbrook, Minister of Aircraft Production, digested this information for a few moments, then gave his aide a nod. "Right, then, grab your coat and off you go!"

'Here we go again', thought Perkins when he arrived at the Farley testing grounds. As with the previously viewed Flutterbug, here was another rip-off of the Westland Lysander. Hmmm...', he thought to himself, ''rip-off', that's a rather nice phrase, but it'll never catch on. May as well forget it.'

2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

"Mr. Perkins again!", said the Farley representative, one Egbert Blodge, "A pleasure to see you!" His enthusiasm seemed a little forced, but that's often the job of a salesman. "This" he said with a verbal flourish "Is the Frigatebird. I thought of the name while watching the real ones soaring over the sea in the Antilles. Excellent command of the air, able to catch every tiny breeze and use it to their advantage, just like this beauty will!" "If I recall," said Perkins, with his nose in the air and a superior tone in his voice, "They do it without their wings revolving in a circle."

Before the red left Blodge's cheeks, the engine coughed to life, and the machine lurched forward. The rotors spun up, and after a very brief run it was airborne, and began a slow lazy circle of the airfield. "Why the open cockpit for the pilot?" "Well, the position of the rotor support made it impossible to have a sliding canopy, and we moved the windscreen forward to give the pilot easier entrance and egress. Clever, eh?" "Yes, inconsiderate of Westland to design things that way." There was an embarrassed silence from Blodge for the rest of the demonstration, which proved that it could at least take-off and land.

3 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The Frigatebird was not the success of it's stablemate, the Flutterbug, and nowhere near the legendary Fruitbat. But the Admiralty did procure some for spotting, using a pad at the rear of battleships and cruisers. Predictable landing difficulties were encountered with turbulence from superstructure of the vessels as air passed by, resulting in all of the Frigatebirds being lost within the space of a year, fortunately without the loss of any crew. No intact airframes survived the war.

4 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Very good.  You've inspired me.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

That almost looks right. I can actually envisage a Lysander fuselage being used to try out the concept

Really neat job Ratty  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

I didn't expect that  :thumbsup:

Is it a Facebook image? I believe those image links tend to expire. Sooner rather than later.

The Rat

Quote from: perttime on May 30, 2020, 10:50:51 AM
I didn't expect that  :thumbsup:

Is it a Facebook image? I believe those image links tend to expire. Sooner rather than later.

Yes, facebook. But if it disappears you can relink it, and the second one seems to last longer. Don't know why.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Glenn Gilbertson

The Rat

Okay, I think the Farley Frigatebird is finally done. Looks a bit rough, but it was wartime, and the Farley Aircraft team was working in an old barn alongside sheep and a couple of horses. It is now armed with depth charges, and on the hunt for Kriegsmarine U-boats.

NARSES2

Neat sir  :thumbsup:

It's got me thinking that maybe it could have had a couple of P.I.A.T. style spigot mortars where the landing light's were in the Lysander  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Tophe

Quote from: kitbasher on June 08, 2020, 01:24:13 AM
A companion to the Westland Warlock at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=21218.0
Both are great! :thumbsup:  WW2 could be imagined will all autogyros, zero winged airplane... ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, the Warlock!  :thumbsup:

An absolute fave of all JMNs at Telford, most of whom collapsed with heart failure on catching sight of it on the SIG stand.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit