1:350 Hexagonal Colony - The Settlers of P-81524-i

Started by Dizzyfugu, May 29, 2020, 12:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, in the meantime I have also been working on a very different subject: a space station, or better a part of it. The background is a group build at the German SF modeling forum phoxim.de, whose members and others frequently make exhibits at the bi-annular "Space Days" convention in Darmstadt. This year the event will (hopefully...) take place again, and the last time the corresponding group build was about a space ship convoy à la Battlestar Galactica. Now, two years later, a new home planet was found, and the current GB centers around the settlers' new home on the planet P-81524-i.

In oder to make such a diorama idea workable, several standards had been set:

• 1:350 scale
  • Use of 10cm tabletop tiles as modular&flexible basis
  • Guidelines concerning the planet surface, color and some environmental details like blue crystals

Otherwise, participants have/had free hand.

I joinded the crowd of 10+ builders and decided to build a relatively small site on just six hex bases: an experimental farm with fields, greenhouses, a central lab and a vehicle shed, plus some vehcicles and "population". And this is what came out of it, after lots of improvisation and scratchbuilding:

Phoxim.de Group Build 2020: Hexagonal Colony - The Settlers of P-81524-i  (Dizzyfugu's 1:350 District No. 4: The Phoximiponic Farm)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Phoxim.de Group Build 2020: Hexagonal Colony - The Settlers of P-81524-i  (Dizzyfugu's 1:350 District No. 4: The Phoximiponic Farm)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

If you are interested in the whole project and other parts of the colony, check this (German language, though): http://www.phoxim.de/forum/index.php?board=144.0

AeroplaneDriver

Nice but that looks a lot more like P-81524-m.   :unsure:

SERIOUSLY though, that is absolutely brilliant.  I love SciFi builds and one of my long term modeling goals is to make a colony diorama.  Absolutely love this.   :wub: :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

Great stuff on that forum too!  Thanks for sharing that. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Dizzyfugu

Thank you, glad you like it. In comparison with other builds is mine a rather modest approach. But I did not want to let things escalate - after all it's also a matter of storing the stuff somewhere later...  :rolleyes:

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

buzzbomb

Very good, a real cameo with so much packed in it

63cpe

Wooow great stuff! I saw some pictures on your Flickr account and wondered what it was you're up to. It's clearly a lunar kinda base but couldn't find out why. Now it's clear. I really like it's a subject "off the beaten track"..

Keep up the good work!

David aka 63cpe

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: buzzbomb on May 30, 2020, 11:27:54 PM
Very good, a real cameo with so much packed in it

Yes, there's a lot going on everywhere. ;)

Thanks a lot everyone, glad you like it - it is/was really "something different" to create and build.

Jacques Deguerre

That's so cool! It makes me think of all the "space colony of the 21st century" articles I read as a kid. ;D

While not on a planetary surface, Isaac Asimov's July, 1976 National Geographic article on the L5 space colony comes to mind.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

Rick Lowe

Interesting concept, a themed group build but everyone doing something different.
And a development of the original idea is pretty cool as well.

But the finished article is amazing.  :thumbsup:

Mossie

I like this idea, hope you can all meet at show and fit them all together. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Nice one Dizzy!  :thumbsup: What a cool idea for a group build.

The first thing that occurs to me re 1/350th spacecraft is to use spare 1/72nd or 1/48th fast jet canopies as the hull. paint the inside black (or detail it, of course), then glue them to plastic card, then cut the card out, trim the edges and dress them with various pods, landing gear etc. Then mask off the windows, paint the hull colour, pull off the masks and you have an 'instant' shuttlecraft.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Dizzyfugu

Well, the cool thing about this GB is that all the stuff that is built to this 1:350/hex standard will hopefully be assembled as a huge diorama thing - and at the moment it looks as if the Spacedays event will be postponed until April next year.

nighthunter

It looks like something out of classic Battletech
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Weaver

Just noticed something that might be of interest to you and/or the other people in your GB Dizzy:

A company called Niko do a range of 1/350th construction equipment that could be useful. In particular, they're a source for the kind of tracks you get on bulldozers and the like, which are unlike military ones (with raised front sprockets/idlers) but are just the kind of thing you see on retro space illustrations:

Example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Niko-Model-1-350-Caterpillar-Crane-WWII-Military-Engineering-Machine/124135273741?hash=item1ce709f50d:g:kKAAAOSwiFFebi5p

Everything on Uk ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xniko.TRS0&_nkw=niko&_sacat=1188

Also, MartG's resin Traveller small craft are in 1/350th: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martg1960/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
(He does a bigger range than this, but they're not all listed all the same time - keep checking)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '