Virtual Whif (hopefully to be actually realised)

Started by Caveman, May 28, 2020, 02:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

Inspired by some of the 3d printed parts and models that have been displayed hereabouts, I've plunged into some CAD work:

Im hoping to get a local company to print it in resin for me as I don't have a printer. Will break it up into a few subassemblies (5 Im thinking currently), principally to get it in the small print volume of resin printers.

Can you guess what it will be?
secretprojects forum migrant

Caveman

PR19_Kit

Well that's a Miles M52 without a tailplane......................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Caveman

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 29, 2020, 05:35:42 AM
Well that's a Miles M52 without a tailplane......................

It's a WIP Miles M52

Caveman

Bit more progress:

Splitting it down for printing. Still got a few more bits that I need to go back and work on, like locating features for assembly and some panel detail for the canopy.

Old Wombat

SCRamjet? :unsure:

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Caveman

Nope, the M52 was to have had a classic whittle centrifugal compressor, reverse flow combustion gas turbine. With the addition of a bypass fan augmenter fitted behind the turbine section. Essentially axial fan blades would be grafted onto the outer ring of a second spool turbine. Trying to eliminate the requirement for a shaft to drive it. The bypass air would not mix with the main engine exhaust but would pass through a further set of straight through combustion chambers acting similarly to a reheat/afterburner. Although the air used would not have been through any combustion process previously so it isn't really reheating. Some of that detail would be visible from the intake and exhaust so I've tried to capture it in the CAD.

Caveman

Here she is without fuselage:

And here split up ready for a test print (FDM):

Does anyone know of a good resin printing service in the UK? All the ones I've seen have got really high minimum print costs.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Caveman

PR19_Kit

Magic thanks.  :thumbsup:

That looks REALLY impressive! What scale will the prototype be in please? I realise that you can scale the print up or down to any size.

Regards
Kit

Caveman

This will be 1:72. Whilst it is possible to scale up and down, I have created the features cognisant of the minimum feature size capabilities of a specific printer. So if you scale this down to 1:144 there would be features that wouldn't print and conversely at 1:48 it will look chunky as things like the leading edges would be oversized.

This is my first bash at this and there are several things that I have learnt which I would do differently in my next project. Hopefully getting it printed tomorrow on an FDM but I would prefer to get it SLA printed.

Caveman

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Have a word with Lost Cosmonaut on Britmodeller, he's done one of these plus a few other things.  I've a test print he did for me of the 3/10ths M.52 used for the rocket tests, although I've yet top assemble it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic