RAF Westland wyvern.

Started by chrisonord, May 22, 2020, 02:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

The RAF was  in need of a ground attack aircraft  to replace  several  ww2  types that were getting  obsolete very quickly.  Several jet aircraft were tested  and evaluated  but the RAF  need3d something that could  carry a decent  weapon load and  be able to loiter on  station  longer than a jet aircraft.  After seeing the  Wyvern  in naval service during the  Korean  conflict, the airforce wanted to  evaluate them for themselves.  Four aircraft  were procured  and evaluated by  four different  squadrons.  The verdict  being from some  pilots  being  of great  disappointment, and some saying  when are we getting  new spitfires.  The Wyvern  looked the part and on paper  impressed  the air ministry, but in reality  wasn't up to the task. The kit is the  older than Noah's nan Frog Wyvern in1/1/72nd scale.  Nit a bad kit to build  at all really  and 3 quid like the wyvern  as it is a brutish  beast of an aircraft, that could have been  so much more.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HkxYcKSR8DbRWvhZ7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h5exn5wvSWf5hov37
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

That works SO well in RAF camo.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Cheers  Kit, I  did this whilst  battling with the  Twin Pioneer, which  had some  serious  fit issues with the  fuselage.  The problems  put the tail out of level  big time, and when I  levelled it, left a 2 mm gap
All is sorted thankfully.
Chris

kitnut617

Very nice Chris, you beat me to it too.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

Thankyou Robert,
I will eventually  put the kit rockets on it, unless I find something else  to shove  them on of course

zenrat

Looks good Chris.  I put Firestreaks on my RAF Wyvern.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AeroplaneDriver

Absolutely gorgeous.  I got a book titled "British Military Aircraft" when I was about 11 and it had a brief entry on the Wyvern.  That was the first time I'd seen one and I've loved it ever since.  SO big and brutish, but also very pretty in a way to my eye.  Love your version!!  I have one in the stash, but every time I think about starting it I become wracked with indecision between RAF and USN gray/white.  Suppose I could get another and do both.  lol

Anyway, beautiful job with one of my personal favorites!     :wub: :wub: :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

NARSES2

Certainly looks the business Chris  :thumbsup:

You've reminded me that I still have a couple of CMR kits in the stash, one of which is the Eagle engined prototype
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

I loke it.

... Having to go to Google's site to view it, not so much.

chrisonord

Quote from: zenrat on May 22, 2020, 10:51:36 PM
Looks good Chris.  I put Firestreaks on my RAF Wyvern.

:thumbsup:
Now there's a  thought.  Radar pod under one  wing and a pair of fireflash missiles would fit into the  time frame.  :thumbsup:
Chris

The Wooksta!

Older hands may remember my RF Germany Wyvern in 112 Sqn markings from 2001 and the Eagle engined SEAC one from 2006.

Photos are long gone now - I still have the SEAC one but I haven't a clue where the RAF Germany one is.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Knightflyer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 24, 2020, 01:12:56 PM
Older hands may remember my RF Germany Wyvern in 112 Sqn markings from 2001 and the Eagle engined SEAC one from 2006.

Photos are long gone now - I still have the SEAC one but I haven't a clue where the RAF Germany one is.

Before my time here, but didn't 'you lot' do a whole Whiffed Wyvern display on a table (at Teford?) when the Trumpeter model came out?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

The Wooksta!

No, that was a one man band from Scotland. 

Some of us did a mass TSR2 display in 2003 which indicated to Airfix that there was a potential market just waiting to be tapped.  That was an interesting weekend.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

chrisonord

I don't remember those Lee,  would be nice to  see  them though
Chris