Telford 2020 suggestions

Started by Freightdog862, May 20, 2020, 10:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freightdog862

Afternoon gents,

Its about this time I start ramping up new releases for shows in September onwards leading up to SMW in November. I have serious doubts that this years  show can go ahead, but will wait and see on that. Regardless I will plan for new releases in November, even if SMW becomes a virtual event, who knows!

I have a couple of whif items in the works already, I think these will be popular items, they are conversions and not complete kits as they tend to get pricy and complicated (and rarely sell more than a hundred kits which makes them financially unviable). So any suggestions are welcome, ideally paper projects, mock up's or formal proposals, not flights of pure fantasy. Also factual subjects or prototypes, don't want the unenlightened modellers to miss out do we?

I'm talking about 1/72 scale, or maybe 1/144 for larger subjects.

The floor is open to suggestions!

Colin

The Wooksta!

Rereleasing your Hunter stuff as I have the bug for them at the minute!

The Delta wing Hunter might not be a bad idea as looking at the drawing in Mason's Hunter book, it's a replacement fin and a wing.  I think it might be possible as a scratchbodge from a Mirage wing.  I'll have a think about that.

Mosquito T.3 as the Pavla one is... Not good. You already have the intakes, so it's basically a new floor, instrument panel and controls. I've some photos of the instructor's seat somewhere. 

And DEFINITELY a Mosquito B.16 bomber canopy with the bulged side panels to fit the Tamiya kit.  There isn't one available AFAIK.  You can get all the other bits to do a B/PR16 or a PR34/B35/TT35 except the canopy. 

Four blade Mosquito props.

Mosquito NF12 Thimble nose  - Paul did it years back for ye old Airfix kit, so it might be worth dusting down to fit the Tamiya?

Lancaster PR conversion - nose and tail blanks

Supermarine 528, the Nene engined Swift prototype which was used as the Prometheus in "The Sound Barrier", but you have to start with an Attacker fuselage, because that's what it was.

Vampire NF10 for the Airfix T11.  I think you'd just have to do a top decking, cockpit interior and canopy as it's a tad slimmer than the T11.

Hawker P.1052 & 1081
Both of these have been done before but badly, and largely because whoever had done the masters had tried to get the latter out of the former at the same time and it just doesn't work.  You'd have to do two separate fuselages, but all the other stuff like wings, tail surfaces, u/c, canopy and interior are the same.  1081 could be a decent seller, especially if you add whiff in service markings, especially RAAF. 

Attacker trainer.  There's a set of drawings on Secret projects which would be a start.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

SRAAM 100 / Taildog missile launchers.

The last time I mentioned this the problem was references, but since then the Bristol collection has got back up and running: they have one of the surviving launchers so they may have documentation/plans to go with it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Another thing I've suggested before: Vulcan 'flying battleship' conversions, i.e. the air-to-air missile/radar carriers detailed in Battle Flight by Chris Gibson.

Phoenix version: this is the easiest, since all you'd have to provide is a reprofiled radome and maybe some pylons: there are plenty of sources the customer can raid for the missiles.

Sea Dart version: this needs a reprofiled nose and a radar pod. Fleetscale(?) do 1/72nd Sea Darts, so maybe you could do a deal with them to buy some in bulk to put in your sets (10 per set).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

perttime

Would Supermarine 391 or Hawker P 1030 be feasible? Parts of Spiteful/Tempest might fit the picture?

McColm

1/72 Shorts Sandringham conversion set: nose , tail and upper turret blank.

1/72 Maritime or reconnaissance version of the VC10 ( a 1/72 scale version of your 1/144 set).

1/72 Vickers Valiant B.2 Pathfinder  landing gear and wing sponsors for the Airfix or Mach2 kit.

1/72 cheek pouches for the Boeing RC-135v/w

1/72 Grumman E-2 Hawkeye rotodome plus stand

1/72 Harpoon anti-ship missile

1/72 rear wheel for the Avro Lancaster

1/72 replacement rotor blades for the Fairey Rotodyne

1/72 Dassault Breguet Br1150  Atlantic ATL2 tail fin

1/72 reconnaissance pack for the  Matchbox/Revell HP Victor K2

1/72 Helicopter floatation gear.

1/72 Lockheed  Constellation propellers  replacement set

tigercat

what about Tiger Moth Operation Banquet stuff . The Anti invasion plans

bomb racks , para slasher and rat poison dropping system

kitbasher

All conversions:

I'm with The Wooksta regarding a Vampire NF.10.

Vacform Jet Provost T3/T4 canopy for the Airfix kit?

Twin Sidewinder conversion for the Airfix EE Lightning?

Wing pylons and stores for export EE Lightnings?

Shackleton MAD boom?

All 1/72, natch.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

chrisonord

SR.177, In1/72nd scale ....?
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

chrisonord

Or....
Just to push the envelope a tad, a Fairey Delta II and or III :wacko:
Chris

The Wooksta!

Someone's announced an injection FD2 in 72nd  and an FD3 in 772nd resin would be expensive.

Don't know about the Supermarine 391 - it's a lot larger than a Spiteful.  Hawker P.1030 is fairly easy to do, starting with a decent Tempest wing (Heller) and a spare Sea Fury fuselage.  I do have all the bits in a box, I just never got time to put it all together as a master.

Vacform Tempest canopy.   Ditto Sea Fury and Sea Fury 2 seater.

Tempest wheels - these are applicable to a load of British things that are old and could do with decent wheels.

EE Lightning Delta wing - tip: start with an Airfix TSR2 wing

And twist your mate Dave's arm to have a look at redoing the Magna Sturgeon, Firecrest, Spearfish and Firefly AS7.  The Spearfish would be nice with an AEW radome.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

chrisonord

Who was it that  announced the  styrene FD II Lee? I  know the Delta III will be expensive, but I can  dream  can't I.
Chris

The Wooksta!

One of the east european manufacturers, I think.  Edit:  Dora Wings.  Here's the relevant thread from Britmodeller:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033014-172-fairey-delta-fd2-by-dora-wings-3d-renders-release-in-2020/

TBH, the old Frog/Novo one isn't that bad if you can find one at a reasonable price.  Basically under a tenner.  The Maquette repop - avoid as the jetpipe has healed over.

I wouldn't say no to a Miles Kestrel in 72nd either.  Rugrat did one but I doubt it'd get re-released.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

chrisonord

Quote from: The Wooksta! on May 20, 2020, 02:38:09 PM
One of the east european manufacturers, I think.  Edit:  Dora Wings.  Here's the relevant thread from Britmodeller:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235033014-172-fairey-delta-fd2-by-dora-wings-3d-renders-release-in-2020/

TBH, the old Frog/Novo one isn't that bad if you can find one at a reasonable price.  Basically under a tenner.  The Maquette repop - avoid as the jetpipe has healed over.

I wouldn't say no to a Miles Kestrel in 72nd either.  Rugrat did one but I doubt it'd get re-released.
I have built the Novo one, just finished it tonight, its a bit of a crude thing but it looks similar enough to  me. I will  keep my mincers open for the Dora kit , operational  interceptor version  for that I think.

The Wooksta!

Better off chopping up a Novo or Maquette one if you're doing that.

TBH, I didn't think the Frog kit was that crude when I did one about 20 years ago.  It's of it's time and really shouldn't be judged by modern standards.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: