USS Nevada BB-36 wreck found

Started by scooter, May 12, 2020, 04:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

Pretty wild stuff. Love watching those underwater videos. Great looking ships those.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 12, 2020, 06:28:59 AM
Fascinating, cheers Scoot

What makes it even more fascinating is she survived the Pearl Harbor attack, all of World War II, TWO atomic bomb tests, everything the 1948 USN could throw at her, and she still refused to give up until she had to be torpedo'd at the end of the SINKEX.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

It looks to be in amazing condition. I hope the exact location is never released as some who don't care will try to raise it for scrap iron.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Quote from: kerick on May 12, 2020, 08:39:08 PM
It looks to be in amazing condition. I hope the exact location is never released as some who don't care will try to raise it for scrap iron.

She won't be classified as a war grave (for obvious reasons) so what protection would she have?
Other than lying 15,400 feet down.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on May 12, 2020, 07:50:06 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on May 12, 2020, 06:28:59 AM
Fascinating, cheers Scoot

What makes it even more fascinating is she survived the Pearl Harbor attack, all of World War II, TWO atomic bomb tests, everything the 1948 USN could throw at her, and she still refused to give up until she had to be torpedo'd at the end of the SINKEX.

Some ships are just like that, whilst others have been known to sink at the slightest excuse  :rolleyes: Most of my mum's family worked in shipbuilding and they would swear to you that all ships have a character/personality. They'd no idea where it came from, but they had one.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: zenrat on May 13, 2020, 03:36:08 AM
Quote from: kerick on May 12, 2020, 08:39:08 PM

She won't be classified as a war grave (for obvious reasons) so what protection would she have?
Other than lying 15,400 feet down.

There are laws protecting wrecks in international waters, even if they're not war graves.  Not sure of the details but I believe the wreck still legally belongs to the USN.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

At 3 miles deep I suspect the cost to raise her would be more than any scrap value.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..