41 Sqn RNZAF A.W. Argosy 1973

Started by Gondor, May 09, 2020, 09:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I have started yet another project. My modell room will be full of part started kits with no room for the stash at this rate, which might be subconsciously why I started a deep stash in the loft  :rolleyes:

Only cut the major parts from the sprue, though the phrase Tree is probably more correct in this instance. This is the first of their kits I have done anything with and this boxing was purchased back in 2018 when I last visited Telford. Pleased as punch I was at getting an Argosy as I thought it was a great looking aircraft. I had also taken a few pictures of the Argosy at Cosford, 36 at the time so I do have some detail pictures to help and looking at the kit I'll need it! Having the Warpaint series No.71 book on the Argosy will also add further info too.

The boxing I bought at Telford was the Brown/Sand version which I realised later didn't quite do it for me so I eventually got around to buying a second kit in the Grey/White scheme which is more to my liking for this aircraft, bit like a VC-10 in either this the same colour scheme  :wub:

That left me with a very large kit to be built as ...... something  :-\

Smaller former colonies make excelant choices for alternative colour schemes so American it is  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  ;D

Only joking  ;D

I decided to make the aircraft as a transport aircraft, OOB as it were, using this as a guide. The colour scheme was to be different, very different, SEAC style and operated by the New Zealand Air Force which for the background story would be helping out the Australians in the little shin dig to the west of the Philippines in a little known place called Vietnam.
The actual operating squadron and the like are not decided on as I still have to research that but that's the idea.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

Use one of the RNZAF Hastings squadrons.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Nice idea Lee, decided on 41 Squadron who did fly Hastings and who I arrived at independently as they had been flying the Bristol Freighter which was rather outdated by that time so using the Argosy fit's in nicely.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Oppps sorry. 1/72 Mach 2 kit.

Gondor

Gondor

Decided to give the plastic a wash as it looked as if therewas some oil or grease in a couple of places.

Now my kitchen was refurbished last February with the replacement kitchen sink resembling a wash and basin more than anything else so some of the trees needed trimming in strategic places so nothing was in danger of getting knocked off by accident  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: What am I saying!!! This is a Mach 2 kit!, the gates are more like the door used in a castle gate house! A should check my supply of small saw blades before I go much further with this kit I think

Gondor

chrisonord

I shall be  watching this  thread  with  great interest Alastair  as I  would  love an Argosy  on my shelf, but I am  seriously put off by Mach twos dismal quality  reputation.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

I think I'll order a 144th scale example when ( if ) things get better. In sad news, I'd oft wondered what happened to the one in Michigan. I thought it was lost in the fire, turns out they scrapped it to try and consolidate and recover from said fire ! Shame.....

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/yankee-air-museum-tough-decisions.html
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

A little progress on this so far today, the ejector pin stubs in the fuselage interior have been ground off along with the vertical alignment for the cockpit rear wall which is way too far forward going by the build thread I am using as a guide. Lots of dust everywhere :blink:

Gondor

PR19_Kit

The Argosy's cockpit is really quite large inside. I've been in the one at the Coventry Museum a few times, it's sometimes open when we have the model show there.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Found a source of decals for the model  ;D

Oldmodels Decals do a sheet for a 41 Sqn Bristol Freighter of the right time frame so I can pinch bits from that  :thumbsup:

https://www.oldmodelsdecals.com/RNZAF-70-85.html

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I had a look at the site - there's some nice decals there and I rather like the SIGINT Devon.

Personally, I think you'd be better off going with this option instead:

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Wrong time frame and colour scheme for what I am thinking Lee but an option for something else maybe such as a Britannia?

Gondor

Tophe

It is allways good to build a twin-boomer :thumbsup:

Quote from: Gondor on May 09, 2020, 03:53:18 PM
1/72 Mach 2 kit.
This will be very big, I would have preferred (for myself) the 1/144th version of another supplier, but if you have room enough, enjoy! ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

KiwiZac

I've not been into the forum much of late so my apologies for not doing my patriotic duty and reporting in here! The Argosy has a civil history in New Zealand - there's one preserved near their old base at Woodbourne, near Blenheim, that I make a point of visiting whenever I'm down there - and the idea of one in an SEA-style camo is very enticing.

Come to thing of it, an SEA'd Hastings could look equally cool...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates