F-23A Black Widow, USAF. HobbyBoss 1/48

Started by nev, May 04, 2020, 10:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Number 7 complete for the year.  This model sat, like so many of my stalled builds, partially assembled and covered in primer.  And probably for at least 5 years.

The HobbyBoss kit is something of a throwback.  I know there have been complaints about it's accuracy, which I won't comment on (as I don't care enough), but it reminds me of the classic Monogram and Hasegawa kits of the 80s.  It's a big, chunky model, well detailed in some places, a bit simplistic in others.  It goes together quickly and easily, but not necessarily well

I chose to build mine as an in-service USAF "what might have been" of the 1st TFW, USAF.  The decals were cobbled together from TwoBobs, the Academy Raptor, and a Japanese decal sheet (NBM).

I painted this as something of a test bed.  I'm starting on a USAF F-16 in the Have Glass V paint scheme, and wanted to try Hataka lacquers version of this paint.  It's maybe a touch too light out of the bottle, but after a coat with clear and then a dark dirt Flory wash, it darkened up a little bit and looks closer to the real thing.

Because it's a big ole kit in one colour - especially the wings - I tried to break it up a little bit with the wash, some oils, and also by painting a few panels in silver and grey.  I probably painted the radome and leading edges in too pale a shade of grey, but that's a minor thing.  They match the grey of the markings well enough. 

I was also aiming to get the distinctive Have Glass V "is it gloss or is it matt?" look and I think I just about pulled it off.  I gave it a single light coat of Hataka matt varnish, over a Klear gloss coar. When it catches the light it's glossy and metallic.  When it doesn't catch the light it's dull and matt.

Due to it's enourmous size, long profile, and low down stance it's a very hard model to photograph.  For the intake covers I used pieces of cardboard, coated in tissue paper soaked in thinned black paint, then some decals from the NBM sheet.

You know how I said it's a big model?  Here she is alongside a 1/32 F-16 fuselage for scale......

Overall, very happy with this one.  There's some things I'd do slightly differently with the paint scheme, but like I said, she was something of a test bed.  Now she's another completed model, and a big, eye catching one at that.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

chrisonord

A favourite aircraft of mine  and a very nice build  :wub:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Very nice Nevster ! Love the look of this machine, and she looks right at home in that colour scheme.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: nev on May 04, 2020, 10:59:48 AM
<...> I was also aiming to get the distinctive Have Glass V "is it gloss or is it matt?" look and I think I just about pulled it off. <...>

About pulled it off? Nailed it is more like it!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

comrade harps

Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

The finish is well done, from what I can tell from the pics it seems to work.  :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

These things always look like they are still in primer to me.

Good job though.   :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on May 05, 2020, 03:49:03 AM

Do modern day composite aircraft actually need primer?

I've never seen pics of them in that green finish that Boeing pour over their 737s before painting them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Good to see you Nev, especially with builds like this  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nev

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 05, 2020, 05:31:37 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 05, 2020, 03:49:03 AM

Do modern day composite aircraft actually need primer?

I've never seen pics of them in that green finish that Boeing pour over their 737s before painting them.

Hi Kit, yes they do

Thankyou for the kind words gentlemen.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

PR19_Kit

If it's at all possible, the F-22 and F-35 in primer look even WORSE than they do in grey!  :o

Thanks for the pics Nev.   :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

flappydaffy