TS RT-11 Iskra FINISHED

Started by The Rat, April 28, 2020, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

1 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

On 27 December 1971, a Fairchild C-123K Provider enroute from Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base was reportedly shot down by anti-aircraft fire approximately 35 km east northeast of Xieng Lom resulting in the loss of four crew members. Viet Cong operatives recovered one of the General Electric J85 engines intact, and it was passed on to Russia. Due to the engine's known reliability and ease of service, copies were constructed and made available to Warsaw Pact countries.

2 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

Poland saw an opportunity to modify its TS-11 Iskra trainer, which utilised the WSK SO-3 engine. The J85 could transform it into an aircraft that would be much more efficient, as it promised weight savings of 300lbs, a much smaller size, and a dry thrust increase of over 500lbs.

3 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The variant chosen was a high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, with extended wings, two cameras in the nose, and a single crew member. Intakes were significantly increased in size to provide air for the new powerplant, and conformal fuel tanks were added to the side of the fuselage, above the wings and behind the cockpit. A service ceiling of 75,000 ft was projected, but flights are reported to have successfully reached 81,000 ft.

4 by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

The new aircraft was designated the RT-11, with RT standing for 'Rozpoznanie Taktyczne', Tactical Reconnaissance. Such was their ability that many were used by different WARPAC nations, and following the American philosophy of 'plausible deniability, they carried only serial numbers, no national markings. Paint has been described as black or extremely dark blue, and to this day questions still elicit passionate responses and fights on internet forums.

The build
This was one absolutely rotten model. I've had bad ones before, but this may have been the worst. If built 'as is' it will not go together and look like an Iskra, that is certain. The nose needs large molding blobs carved from it, it has a larger circumference than the fuselage it is supposed to go on, and wheel wells are non-existent, The interior is minimal, but good luck seeing anything through the canopy. Paint was Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue, decals came from the spares bin. Intakes were enlarged by mounting the kit intakes on top of the wing instead of under it, and using an old drop tank to make the bottoms. An old drop tank was also used for the conformal tanks.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Dizzyfugu

The black livery is unexpected, but the result look great, like a U-2 hatchling!  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Where would we be without old drop tanks, eh?  ;D

From a total sow's ear of a kit you've made a pretty good silk purse there.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

That's a brilliant  build there Ratty, I  have heard so many  horror stories  about those kits and you have made  something exceptional  from it :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Tophe

Good! (and unusual shape, thanks for the enjoyment) :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

comrade harps

Whatever.

The Rat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 28, 2020, 11:56:03 PM
The black livery is unexpected, but the result look great, like a U-2 hatchling!  :thumbsup:

Dark blue, actually, Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue, which up close seems more green than blue. From a distance it looks black. Maybe they should just call it XF-17 Chameleon.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Weaver

Is this the Polish kit with the engine in it? If so, well done indeed... :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on April 29, 2020, 08:26:46 AM
Is this the Polish kit with the engine in it? If so, well done indeed... :thumbsup:

It's this fiendish collection of misused hydrocarbons, no engine in it.

Dizzyfugu

There is apparently a worse option than the Intech/Mastercraft kit! Respect for the great result!  :thumbsup:

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 29, 2020, 03:57:43 AM
Where would we be without old drop tanks, eh?  ;D

From a total sow's ear of a kit you've made a pretty good silk purse
there.  :thumbsup:

Indeed! You managed to build a pretty Junior U-2 from that "thing".  :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.