Bofors 40 mm

Started by ysi_maniac, April 22, 2020, 04:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Can any of you give me information about this mounting? Particularly dimensions and pics.

Will die without understanding this world.

jcf

Post-WWII British Mk. VI Sextuple mounting.

PR19_Kit

Ooooer, that could REALLY spoil your day!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I've never ever seen that before.

Was it actually mounted on a serving ship ? (I have tried "googling" but couldn't work out if it had seen service. Plus I got some really strange results when I typed in Sextable mount ? :-X)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Apart from the very interesting gun turret, what I found fascinating is the building it's in. It's almost a direct copy of the fabrication shop I worked in when I first came to Canada, right down to the forced air heater hanging off the column on the left (I've got one of those in my garage/workshop too)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

It looks like that pic was taken at Ford Halstead in Kent, but as they had generic MoD type buildings there it could have been anywhere in the UK military world as well I guess.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 23, 2020, 06:16:47 AM
I've never ever seen that before.

Was it actually mounted on a serving ship ? (I have tried "googling" but couldn't work out if it had seen service. Plus I got some really strange results when I typed in Sextable mount ? :-X)

This photo said HMS Albion Chris ---

PR19_Kit

How the old world used to be!

There's six times 40 mm bashing away there, all at once, and all the matelots in sight are just standing there, no ear plugs or defenders or anything!

H&S would have heart failure of they did that today!

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on April 23, 2020, 07:13:08 AM

This photo said HMS Albion Chris ---

Thanks mate  :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 23, 2020, 07:16:05 AM
How the old world used to be!

There's six times 40 mm bashing away there, all at once, and all the matelots in sight are just standing there, no ear plugs or defenders or anything!

H&S would have heart failure of they did that today!

I think my Dad would have rather have had that then the double 20mm he manned while those kamikazes were coming at them  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Do you think that's the turret right in front of the island ?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitnut617

The photo looking down on it I posted first, doesn't fit with this photo. There must have been one mounted at the rear of the island too.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

jcf

Vanguard had ten of the turrets, all ten bangin' away at once would be a sight.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on April 23, 2020, 01:08:22 PM
Vanguard had ten of the turrets, all ten bangin' away at once would be a sight.  :thumbsup:

Not if you were the pilot of the attacking aircraft  ;D

But yes it would of been some sight and some noise. Can you imagine the ammunition expenditure ?