Started by Leading Observer, April 22, 2020, 03:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

rickshaw

It was a lesson I read about with the Trent Meteor.  Apparently, in the normal Meteor it was a "trick" to raise the gear before the plane rotated.   This would get it airborne slightly faster apparently.  Well, a pilot who was qualified on the Meteor was chosen to test the version with the Trent turboprops.  He tried the same trick only to shear a few inches off the tips of his propellers.   :banghead: :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

The absolute opposite was the case with the Canberra PR9. The big bore Avons that the PR9 had were so powerful that they only needed 80% throttle to take-off and when off the ground they had to get the gear up VERY quickly or the aircraft would exceed the max. gear down speed before the airfield perimeter!

The alternative was to haul the nose up and climb out at 45 deg plus to keep the speed down.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

There's photos on the internet of Seafire XVII SX336 very low, right after take off and raising the gear. Some comments suggest that the need to switch hands for raising the gear on Spitfire variants may have contributed to the low altitude.

PR19_Kit

IIRC it was the early Spitfire variants that had the 'cross hands' problem. By the time the later ones came along they'd sorted it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

This Spitfire Mk XVI has the "chassis lever" on the right and engine controls on the left: http://hoestenmodel.club/wp/dt_gallery/supermarine-spitfire-lf-mk-xvie/

Here's SX336, with "chassis lever" on the right: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rinkratz/3955181539/in/photostream/