Blackburn Blackbeard

Started by Bungle, April 16, 2020, 02:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

While finishing the development of the Blackburn Buccaneer, the Blackburn works were given the job of converting a few ex-USN Vought Cutlass's as a stop gap carrier aircraft. Renamed the Blackbeard it servered until the Buccaneer came on-line in 1959.

Ok I know the tail markings are not right for the era but they look pretty  :banghead:
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Dizzyfugu

But the combo looks very good, great choice for an RN aircraft.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Lovely job, and for once an FAA aircraft that doesn't need an extending nose gear leg!  :thumbsup:

Which kit is that, the Fujimi one maybe?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Nice, though Air to air weaponry on an aircraft to be a stop gap for an anti-shipping aircraft?

Looks great though  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Perhaps they're early Shrikes and it's armed for an anti-radiation strike before the Martel armed Blackbeards arrive?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I've always liked the Cutlass and she does suit that scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Bungle

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 16, 2020, 05:16:05 AM
Lovely job, and for once an FAA aircraft that doesn't need an extending nose gear leg!  :thumbsup:

Thank you

Yes it's the Fujimi which is a lot easier than the Rareplanes vac kit I did (along time ago when I had hair and Corona fizzy drinks got delivered to your door)
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Bungle

Quote from: Gondor on April 16, 2020, 05:24:05 AM
Nice, though Air to air weaponry on an aircraft to be a stop gap for an anti-shipping aircraft?

Looks great though  :thumbsup:

Gondor

They're very slim Anti Ship missiles developed by the Singer Sewing Needle company  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Bungle on April 16, 2020, 06:35:04 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 16, 2020, 05:16:05 AM

Thank you

Yes it's the Fujimi which is a lot easier than the Rareplanes vac kit I did (along time ago when I had hair and Corona fizzy drinks got delivered to your door)

Ah yes, fond memories. <sigh>

I've got one of those Fujimi Cutlasses, I must remember to open the box one day.............

Regards
Kit

Snowtrooper

The early model Sparrows (judging by the sharp noses the missiles are Sparrow I/AIM-7A) with their beam-riding guidance instead of semi-active radar homing were notoriously inaccurate at range, so maybe these have been converted to antiradiation missiles? This plane's mission is to knock out the enemy fleet's radars so that the rest of the strike package can follow.

The Sparrow body was actually later used for the AGM-45 Shrike antiradiation missile, so the idea is not even that far-fetched.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Snowtrooper on April 16, 2020, 07:00:20 AM

The early model Sparrows (judging by the sharp noses the missiles are Sparrow I/AIM-7A) with their beam-riding guidance instead of semi-active radar homing were notoriously inaccurate at range, so maybe these have been converted to antiradiation missiles? This plane's mission is to knock out the enemy fleet's radars so that the rest of the strike package can follow.

The Sparrow body was actually later used for the AGM-45 Shrike antiradiation missile, so the idea is not even that far-fetched.

I suggested that in post #4...............

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Nice job. Checking the dimensions of the engines, I think RR Avons would have been a relatively easy swap, and might have greatly improved the performance of the Gutless Cutlass.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Glenn Gilbertson

That looks good - and Avons might have made it work! :thumbsup:

Rheged

J46 engine, up to 6000lbs thrust:    RR Avon of the same vintage 9500 lbs thrust......and if one uses the RB.146 Mk.301:The ultimate military Avon for the English Electric Lightning –  17,110 lb
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet