Hasegawa 1/48 Starfighter F.1, RAF Germany 1961-COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, April 13, 2020, 11:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Many moons ago I did a Hase F-104 as an RAF 74 San Tiger Meet bird.  I LOVE Starfighters and recently watched The Right Stuff, so I'm in a 104 mood again.  Tonight I broke out a Hasegawa 1/48 F-104C from the stash and got cracking. 

I'm not sure what it's going to be wearing yet.  I'd say it's about a 5-10% chance it's a real world USAF machine, 80-90% an RAF machine, but not in natural metal...more like the green over metal seen on RAFG Lightning F.2s.  And maybe 10% it ends up wearing Roos!

I still have a little time to make that decision but for now here is tonight's progress.  Wings, nose, and H-stab are just dry fitted for now.  Winds will likely stay off until painting is done since they fit so well and ease painting when they are off.  It's a good kit that goes together quickly.  Yes I know it has flaws, but I like the fit and to me it looks good on a shelf. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Dizzyfugu

How about an RAF interceptor (like the F-104S) with Sky Flash under the wings and an air superiority scheme, e.g. in Dark Sea Grey/Medium Sea Grey/Barley Grey, like some Lightnings? The dark green Lightnings were rather intended for low-altitude interception (over Germany), I am not certain if the Starfighter would be a good choice for this task?

AeroplaneDriver

Well the Lightning wasn't really suited to low level either...I did a 80s/90s RAF gray Straighter years ago and I considered that, but I really like the green Lightnings.  I have also read somewhere that the RAFG Lightnings were green on top to make them harder to spot when on the ground.  Really I'm just looking for something different from my previous F-104 Whifs.  I'll see if I can find a link to the gray Straighter I did years ago. 

AeroplaneDriver

Found it!!

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=6587.msg86122#msg86122

On a sidenote...I cannot believe I have been on this forum for FIFTEEN YEARS!  Where does the time go???

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 14, 2020, 12:55:59 AM

I have also read somewhere that the RAFG Lightnings were green on top to make them harder to spot when on the ground.

That's right, 19 and 92 Sqdn's F2As were forward based at Gutersloh and almost everything there was painted dark green, even the station bikes!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2020, 06:29:31 AM

I have also read somewhere that the RAFG Lightnings were green on top to make them harder to spot when on the ground.

That's right, 19 and 92 Sqdn's F2As were forward based at Gutersloh and almost everything there was painted dark green, even the station bikes!

You know political correctness requires us not to denigrate women that way any more...
;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 15, 2020, 06:21:22 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2020, 06:29:31 AM

You know political correctness requires us not to denigrate women that way any more...
;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Got the painting done today.  Still a couple of spots needing touchup and the anti-glare panel need to be done, but I'm fairly happy.  On to decaling tomorrow if I'm not too busy  ;D :rolleyes:

Torn on the load out.  I have a number of Firestreaks from Lightning kits in the stash.  I'm not sure if they will fit on the belly launch rails.  My last Starfighter was a 74 San one with Firestreaks on the wingtips and I'm thinking I may go that route again with underwing tanks.  If the Firestreaks fit underneath maybe it's be armed to the teeth with FOUR of them!

Snowtrooper

Extend the landing gear and/or trim the pylon for the launch rail so that four will fit :wacko: Or add another pair of underwing pylons, F-104S style.

PR19_Kit

And some overwing ones too, just in case.................  ;D

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 15, 2020, 11:51:50 PM

Torn on the load out.  I have a number of Firestreaks from Lightning kits in the stash.  I'm not sure if they will fit on the belly launch rails.  My last Starfighter was a 74 San one with Firestreaks on the wingtips and I'm thinking I may go that route again with underwing tanks.  If the Firestreaks fit underneath maybe it's be armed to the teeth with FOUR of them!

Yes, they do

20170217_235110_zpsfpjfaezu by Paul Carter, on Flickr

AeroplaneDriver

Well here she is all done. 

When the EE Lightning suffered a string of accidents in flight testing it was clear service entry would be delayed until 1962 at the earliest.  Eager to field a supersonic interceptor the RAF turned to the Lockheed F-104 Lighting as an interim solution. In early 1960 the RAF ordered 34 F-104Cs and 10 two-seat F-104Bs.  The C model was chosen because it had that ability to carry a tactical nuclear weapon, though in practice RAF Starfighters were never used in this role.  The aircraft received minor modifications, primarily for the carriage of DeHavllland Firestreak missiles becoming the Starighter F.1. Fitting a Martin-Baker ejection seat was studied but in the end this was abandoned given the cost of modifications and the aircrafts expected short service life in the RAF. 

Two RAF squadrons operated F-104s, 74 Sqn and 92 Sqn.  The aircraft depicted served in Germany with 92 Sqn from February 1961 until replacement by the Lighting in early 1964.  It was restored in the 1980s and is currently on display at the Royal Air Force Museum.  Starfighters left RAF font line service completely by late 1965, but three two seat versions (T.2 in RAF terms) were retained until the early 1990s two at the Royal Aircraft Establishment and one at Empire Test Pilot's School. 

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 17, 2020, 02:18:08 PM

......... but three two seat versions (T.2 in RAF terms) were retained until the early 1990s two at the Royal Aircraft Establishment and one at Empire Test Pilot's School. 

Bags of scope there for one in pseudo-Raspberry Ripple perhaps?

That looks very good indeed, and wholly plausible, but then I'm a tad biased.

My first ever Whiff model, back in 1972.  ;D

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Gret minds!!!   :thumbsup:

I have a two-seater in my stash and when I wrote that I was thinking about the Boscombe Down decals I have too...  hmmm. 

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.