RAF Gannett C.O.I.N aircraft.

Started by chrisonord, April 13, 2020, 06:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

With the British  involvement in  the Malayan conflict during  the 1960's  the RAF  needed  an aircraft that  could  stay on station  patrolling the  border  inbetween  Indonesia and Malaysia  for long  periods of time, carry a  decent  external  air to ground  load and be reasonably  ready available.  The RAF was using  the Shackleton in this role  but it  tookt rhe aircraft away from its primary role and was also uneconomic to run such a large aircraft  in this role.  The RAF was offered 7 surplus  Fairey Gannett  A.S.4 that the navy  had  mothballed  and were probably  never going to use again.  The aircraft would,  with very little  modification, be perfect for the role  the RAF  needed  them for. The Gannetts were  transferred  to B.A.C Salmesbury and converted.  The work  carried  out was as follows.  The wing folding  mechanisms were taken out and the wings strengthened. Six under wing  pylons were fitted  for bombs rockets and  gun pods.  The radar  operators  equipment  was removed  along  with  all other  anti submarine  systems, the rear  canopy  was painted over to reduce  the work load of making a  blanking cover.  The weapons bay  was sealed and  auxiliary fuel tanks  fitted to  extend the range.  The gun pods were a new and hurried through  design and consisted of  a pair of 30 mm Aden cannons  borrowed from a  Hunter  and longer  barrels  fitted.  The pods were made using some  surplus  drop tanks  left over from the second world war, and allowed the guns to carry a decent  amount of ammunition.
The aircraft  worked  well from the off and their  crew found them to be most useful and easy to fly if not a bit slow, but that was an advantage  given the  circumstances.  The aircraft  weŕe in field  modified  with armour  around  the fuel tanks and  cockpit  so as to protect them from  small arms  fire from below the  jungle canopy.
The kit is the Revell  one in 1/72nd scale, unfortunately I  didn't  enjoy building this as it has lots of fitment issues and in places I  couldn't get  to work properly.  The canopies  being  the main ones.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WH6MYkXQkSEMpgQd6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TgxL4Uu27vbgqjZ39
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bu5XJg2Pb47BLmix9
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Never mind 'In the Navy', that one's for an 'Out of the Navy' GB.  ;D

A great idea, and a terrific backstory.  :thumbsup:

A pity the kit was such a pain to build. I've got one but never had it out of the box yet, I'll syand aware! :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Thankyou Kit, I  really  like rhe Gannett  and it has lots of uses either military or in civilian  use. I have a few of rhe bagged  frog ones  that I  bought for  their  engines and  propellers, but one  might  get  made into  a fire bomber  yet.
Chris

comrade harps

Whatever.

NARSES2

It's come out well Chris, even if it was a pain.  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Ed S

Another good one. Well done chrisonord.
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Captain Canada

Very nice ! She looks right at home in that scheme, and I really like the hard points. Thanks for the idea ! I'm not actually sure what it is about this aeroplane. Maybe because I didn't know it existed until the 90's ? It's got some sort of allure.....I'm usually not attracted to ugly lol
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

chrisonord

One of the reasons  I  like them is because  they look like someone has stuck wings and a propeller  on a brick and made it fly, very Soviet  era thinking  in its looks
Chris

AeroplaneDriver

Very nice!  Love the concept and well executed.  :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wurgerman

Great back story and realisation ,do you think it would work for an RAF Wyvern?

Wulfman

dwomby

Now that story makes a lot of sense.  Great model as a result too.

David

chrisonord

Quote from: Wurgerman on April 24, 2020, 08:27:11 AM
Great back story and realisation ,do you think it would work for an RAF Wyvern?

Wulfman
I have an RAF Wyvern on the bench at the moment, awaiting decals and Matt clear coat. Thanks for the comments guys :thumbsup:
Chris

Weaver

Nice one! :thumbsup:

I've floated this idea a few times and I have the kits stashed away for it, but my backgroundstory  is Britain-in-Vietnam.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones