Grumman F#F-3 1/32 Monogram - real world build

Started by wacek85, April 10, 2020, 03:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wacek85

Model of 1/32 Grumman F3F-3 by Revell (Monogram) is a very old one - it appeared on the market in the ' 60. For its time it was a great model: it had a retracting landing gear, movable control surfaces and closing canopy. It certainly doesn't look awesome today, but despite the age it's nice one one. Purchased a few weeks ago F3F-3 was finished today. I painted the model with Mr. Hobby, Tamiya, Vallejo and Ak.paint range. I've scratchbuild gun camera, instrument panel, seatbelts and wires on the engine. Antennas are AMMO product. Landing gear is retracting but some work was needed to make it work. Weathering is AK products.

I've learned much from this build, for example:

-old model means old styrene. Old styrene means fragile styrene. Smaller the part, more fragile then :)
-bigger model, fewer details
-people at Monogram were clever. Check documentation (especially photos) before blaming anybody for decal error :)
-people at Monogram were also lazy. One new part doesn't make different aiplane Check your documentation often. Some things aren't difficult in shape and can be built from scratch in no-time :)
-check fit before sanding, sometimes  flash is really something important :)
-there is no such thing as thin enough plastic profile to restore raised panel lines. If you think is thin enough then it needs to be thined more :)
-water-based putty doesn't harm paint. Watered cotton bud used for putty polishing does :)
-all mechanisms are working better when knobs are metal or made of new styrene profiles
-sometimes montage sequence in instruction is logical :)
-aluminium foil from yoghurt seal is perfect for seat belts :)

And that's how it looks :)

Hope you'll like it :)

AeroplaneDriver

That would be a great build for a modern kit.  For such an ancient one it's stunning!  Love the old yellow-wing Navy planes!   :wub: :wub: :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

That's great.  Nice and colourful and you'e done an excellent job.
:thumbsup:

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I used to get Monogram kits back in the 60's as either birthday or Christmas presents and loved the "working" features. I've vague memories of building this back then, but there's no way I did anywhere near as good as job as you have.

Fantastic effort and I to love these old yellow wings schemes  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

That's looking excellent.  :thumbsup: And a colorful squadron leader aircraft, too.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Woweee, that looks good!  :thumbsup:

I built one of those 'back in the day' as a shop window model for my best mate's model shop. The retractable landing gear lasted about two weeks as everyone wanted to see how it worked, and it broke of course. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit