French 'weapons'

Started by PR19_Kit, April 01, 2020, 07:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The Special Hobby Mirage F1 kit that I'm working on comes with a big sprue of weapons, most of which you don't use apparently, but I haven't clue what they all are, and I'd like to.

I'm pretty sure the pod on the RH end is a photo-recce pod as it's used on the A de l'Air F1CR, but the others are a mystery to me.

There's three different versions of the Magic AAM, at the LH end, but the only info I can find on that missile is that the Magic 1 had a clear nose and the 2 had a solid nose, so what's with the three different shapes of tail fin?

Any assistance in identifying this lot and their use would helpful.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Those spindly trio in the middle are ECM pods (at least the one in the middle and to the right, the left one looks like an ACMI pos w/o a pitot? One is called "Barracuda", the other "Remora"), also carried by French Jaguars.

Check these instructions: https://www.super-hobby.de/products/French-Jaguar-A.html

PR19_Kit

Oh yes. The ACMI is the thingie they use to let the range officers know where they are on an exercise range, isn't it?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 01, 2020, 08:15:52 AM
Oh yes. The ACMI is the thingie they use to let the range officers know where they are on an exercise range, isn't it?

Yes, among others. But I am not certain, if it's actually an ACMI pod - it just looks one?

Dizzyfugu

Ah, it's certainly a Phimat chaff dispenser!

PR19_Kit

Oh magic, I could use that on the F1P then.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Yes, very suitable ordnance.

Gondor

I would say that you should have the Phlimat pod on the outer wing pylon of one wing and the ECM pod with the fin under it in the same place under the other wing. Magic AAM's on the wing tips of course and fuel tanks on the inner wing pylons. That to me would be a reasonable "fit" .

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Looking at the wings, they actually have THREE pylon positions each!

With that lot, wing tip Magics and the belly pylon I'm not sure it'd even fly!  :o

Regards
Kit

Zero-Sen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 01, 2020, 07:04:09 AM
The Special Hobby Mirage F1 kit that I'm working on comes with a big sprue of weapons, most of which you don't use apparently, but I haven't clue what they all are, and I'd like to.

I'm pretty sure the pod on the RH end is a photo-recce pod as it's used on the A de l'Air F1CR, but the others are a mystery to me.

There's three different versions of the Magic AAM, at the LH end, but the only info I can find on that missile is that the Magic 1 had a clear nose and the 2 had a solid nose, so what's with the three different shapes of tail fin?

Any assistance in identifying this lot and their use would helpful.

From the left to the right hand...

AAM : Magic 2, Magic 1,  ????
ECM : Phimat, Barracuda, Barax
RECCE pods : RAPHAEL (SLAR), RP-35P (PHOTO), ASTAC (SIGINT)

PR19_Kit

Brilliant, thanks so much.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Third AAM from the left is a Kentron V3B Kukri, a South African AAM.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Not much to add, but I THINK I'm right in saying that the Barracuda pod (double-dome ends) is more modern than the Barrax (wedge-shaped ends).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Zero-Sen

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on April 03, 2020, 07:17:37 PM
Third AAM from the left is a Kentron V3B Kukri, a South African AAM.
Thank you Moritz it looked like a Magic Sidewinder kitbash to me (without rollerons).

Now I have a doubt about the Magic 1.
Kentron also did a U-Darter, a Magic lookalike.

zenrat

Surely the first three on the left are bâtons aller les chercher...

;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..