US Navy Republic TFS-4A Orca: Finished Pics Page 3.

Started by zenrat, March 28, 2020, 01:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

TF = Torpedo Fighter
S = Seversky (designation letter carried over to Republic)

Republic TFS Orca by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Yes, I know.  Finish something first.  But this should be quick and easy.  A simple paint + load out whiff.
Kit is by Tamiya so fit is divine (except the UC doors which appear designed to only be fitted with the wheels down) and will be built in flight as I gave the UC legs to someone on here who needed a set.
It's also a trial for the spinning prop PE set.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I've built the Tamiya 1/72 P.47 and it's a beauty  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 28, 2020, 02:06:44 AM
I've built the Tamiya 1/72 P.47 and it's a beauty  :thumbsup:

Looks that way so far.  I may have to get another.  I have two Hasegawa Jugs in the stash but they are going to suffer massively in comparison.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Cockpit painted and together and fuselage halves closed up.
Wings together.  one wing has the UC doors in place while the other has one missing.  I dropped it and can I find it?  Can I fork.  I'll have to make a replacement.

Fred

zenrat

Progress.  Wings and tails in place.  Wingfold lines scribed (just visible below).
Cowling just wedged in place.  Hmmmmmm, Jet Jug might be in the future using a Hasegawa kit.
Orca WIP 04-04-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

zenrat

I scratchbuilt a replacement Main UC door this morning.  It seems I managed to get it to fit better than the original on the other side.
You can see where I scribed the wing fold lines clearer now.   I will be losing the outboard gun on each wing as otherwise the breeches would prevent them folding.
Orca WIP 06-04-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

zenrat

I have started painting.  It'll be the USN three shade scheme white/intermediate blue/sea blue (semi gloss and non-spec).
Fred

PR19_Kit

YEAAAAHHHH!  :thumbsup:

One of my fave WWII paint schemes.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Got the Int. Blue on the fuselage and vert. tail and Semi Gloss Sea Blue on the wings and tail upper surfaces.
Underside is white undercoat to avoid having to paint it.
Upper surfaces need at least another coat of paint and then there is obviously the spine and the leading edges to do.
As some of you possibly know this paint job is another modelling "can of worms" scheme.  Most argument seem to be around whether semi gloss Sea Blue (upper surfaces) and non specular Sea Blue (leading edges) were the same colour with different level of gloss (which the FS numbers would seem to imply) or were different colours.
Don't know, don't care and i'm not one of those modellers who procrastinates and never builds the damn thing because he (or she, thank you Reg) is scared of getting it "wrong".
I want the two Sea Blues to look different enough that they can be told apart.  And if my tests are correct then they will be as Vallejo gloss Sea Blue is not quite the same shade as Vallejo Matt Sea Blue.
Fred

zenrat

I've been umming and ahing over airbrushing this to give soft demarcations.
I don't feel confident doing it and then there is my known dislike of masking.
But all pics show (quite often rather badly sprayed) soft edges.

Then I found this one and I feel much better about not doing it.

Yes the blue/white interface is soft but the blue/blue isn't which is good enough "reference" for me to make all the interfaces sharp.
Fred

zenrat

I have a feeling I am being too neat with my demarcations.
Republic TFS Orca WIP 16-04-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
In the background a Boxcar engine & cowling and the beginning of the Highspeed Bomber's nosegear.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on April 16, 2020, 03:19:10 AM

I have a feeling I am being too neat with my demarcations.

I agree, it's the fading that makes that 3 colour scheme what it is.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 16, 2020, 05:13:28 AM
it's the fading that makes that 3 colour scheme what it is.

Agreed which is why I tend to avoid it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.