Resin Figure Repair help

Started by scooter, March 24, 2020, 08:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

So, one of our cats was bored in the middle of the night, got up on to one of the shelves where SWMBO kept some resin figures, and decided it "needed to be on the floor."  Any suggestions on fixing her?

The victim:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Difficult. Are there small resin chips, too, or have the fractures been "clean"? If so, you might try to use simple (and not too much) super glue to fix the damage - since these do not seem to be heavy parts, no reinforcements should be needed. However, in order to stabilize things, you might drill holes into both sides of the damaged parts and add wire connectors, also fixed with super glue, just in case (Cats, you know...). From what I see, no paint repairs should be necessary, too.

scooter

We didn't see any chips, so I'm hoping it'll go back together cleanly.  Thanks Dizzy
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rheged

I'd agree with Dizzy's suggestion, that's exactly what I did with a resin figure (a flower fairy) belonging to the woman next door.  Hers was a casualty of her cat too.     I can also suggest several creative things to do with wire and superglue if the cat continues with its misbehaviour.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

And there's always Gorilla Glue --- had to fix the missus' ceramic tortoise from Mexico after I had stomped on it while falling off a stepladder ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

I had to fix an opthalmic model we use to test our students on at work, the 'head' was made of resin.  Someone broke it, then a workmate made the job much harder by using the broken bit to wedge a door open.   :banghead:

I used the same method as above, drilling and pinning it.  I used all purpose glue though as I needed a strong bond, two part epoxy would be even stronger.  If you use these, be sparing as any access could foul the figurine.  Super glue should work for this piece unless your cat gets a bit more Rambo.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

The neck seam could be covered up with a "choker" type necklace.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 24, 2020, 09:41:15 AM
And there's always Gorilla Glue --- had to fix the missus' ceramic tortoise from Mexico after I had stomped on it while falling off a stepladder ---

Do you mean the Standard Gorilla Glue? As it's a water-activated foaming polyurethane I doubt it
would work as the resin is a non-porous material.

CA of some sort would be the best as it's the normal choice for gluing resin models and parts.

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on May 12, 2020, 05:47:38 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on March 24, 2020, 09:41:15 AM

Do you mean the Standard Gorilla Glue? As it's a water-activated foaming polyurethane I doubt it
would work as the resin is a non-porous material.

CA of some sort would be the best as it's the normal choice for gluing resin models and parts.

Original Gorilla Glue Jon, it says, Bonds: Wood, Stone, Metal, Ceramic, Foam, Glass and more!. If it can glue glass, resin shouldn't be a problem ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike