Royal Navy FRADU Skyhawk FG.6

Started by AeroplaneDriver, March 21, 2020, 06:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Hello Chaps and possible Chappesses!  Long time no see!  It's been a busy year with work, travel, and the new hobby of gardening last year, so I've been away from the bench for exactly one year my phone tells me. 

Now that we are all hunkered how until the Great Plague of 2020 passes I thought I'd revisit the kit I abandoned a year ago.  Back then it was on track to be a real world USMC A-4M.  Since my skills will need a refresh before I tackle airbrushing exact real world camo, I decided on a nice Whiffy RN Skyhawk. 

I'm leaning towards c.1980 FRADU, but all options are on the table.  First big decision...to hump or not to hump..?

I kind of like the idea of the larger A-4M canopy with no hump. 

Thoughts...?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

rickshaw

Interesting.  Which kit is this, please?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Zero-Sen

Weaver

If it's for FRADU then they'd want performance and small size in order to simulate AshMs, so no hump. It could always carry ECM or other electronic 'training aids' in place of the radar and/or the guns. There was a real-life Vietnam-era modification that reduce the ammo tanks to half capacity to slither a briefcase-sized ECM black box in there.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

AeroplaneDriver

I decided on humpless.  I just love the look of the A-4 sans hump.  This will be an inflight build on a display stand so my first foray back into modeling was to spend the night closing up landing gear bays and getting flaps/slats glued on in the closed position.  Feels nice to be back at the bench! 

Kit is the Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M that's fairly common at the moment. 

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Humpless it is then... I do prefer the A-4 with the hump but i like it with and without so it's a win in my book anyway. ;D :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

I'd go humpless, the A-4 seems sleeker without it & the RAN stuck as much extra electronics into an unhumped A-4G as was in the humped A-4F, from which they were developed, plus the ability to operate AIM-9 Sidewinders but lost the ability to operate guided air-to-ground weapons.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Devilfish

To hump or not to hump.....

Just build one of each....

20190903_205403 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

DogfighterZen

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver