British "super Phantom "

Started by chrisonord, March 20, 2020, 04:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Had a bit of a read about the Israeli  Kurnas  super  Phantom and the version  that was being  looked  into  in the U.S. Usual  suspects  terminated the  U.S version   and the Israeli  version  got as far  as one  prototype  that did the air show rounds . The power to weight  of this version  was well above 1/1 giving it  exemplary performance . The engine used  was the PW 1120, a turbo fan  that exceeded the performance of the original  J79.
What if this  aircraft  was a blatant  copy of a phantom  the British were working on, with  a new experimental  and compact  turbo fan  engine  fitted.  The RAF  wanted their  phantoms to  have  more performance  than their spey engined aircraft  in every  department.  The  engine was developed by Rolls Royce  and was considerably  smaller in  size  than both the spey engine  and the J79, but gave  excellent  performance. The engine  in the kurnas is  similar  to that fitted to the  F-15  and thus not a lot of modifications  would  be needed  to fit  to a standard  phantom. My idea  is to fit an F-4 J with F-15 engine  nozzles  and have  it as an experimental  aircraft  in the mid to late  70's.  The aircraft, if real would  probably  get canned as the Tornado was  just round  the corner, but what if it was a success  and the conversion was licence  built  as well as  done by B.A.C. Yes, the drivels of a tired  mind  but I am sure at least  some of it is workable.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

DogfighterZen

Comparing the dimensions of both engines, it seems that it could easily be done. Very interesting idea!  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

chrisonord

As fat as engines  go there is plenty of room, other modifications  could include  canards and  some  ahead of their time  conforal tanks

Martin H

Was toying with putting forward the RB199, but at a diameter of only 28.3 inches........a bit to slim for an easy conversion, even if it does have plenty of grunt.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on March 22, 2020, 08:53:01 AM

Was toying with putting forward the RB199, but at a diameter of only 28.3 inches........a bit to slim for an easy conversion, even if it does have plenty of grunt.

You could  use the extra space for fuel...............?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: Martin H on March 22, 2020, 08:53:01 AM
I am sure it would  work Martin, as Kit says  fuel cells or other gubbins could fill the gaps.  The aircraft  could be  designated  FGR-3 if adopted and be at the time  the UK's only true  multi role and service aircraft, replacing  several types  used by the RAF and the navy.