Milton Keynes MK2020 *** CANCELLED ***

Started by Nick, March 13, 2020, 06:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Milton Keynes Model Show aka ModelKraft
10th May 2020
Marshall Arena, MK1 1ST

10am-4pm, £8 entry.

May still be going ahead as they expect less than 500 attendees. Check website below.

http://www.mksmc.co.uk/wp/home-page-of-milton-keynes-scale-model-club/modelkraft-2020/

NARSES2

Interesting that they expect less that 500 members and therefore they can go ahead ? I know Milton Keynes is an odd place, but I didn't realise it was in Scotland ?  ;)

Seriously I won't be booking my train as early as I normally would, probably leave it until a couple of weeks before, mainly because the cheapest advance tickets means you get no refund in the event of you not travelling.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Travelling by train is a big risk factor Chris.  Closed up in a carriage with all those other passengers breathing at you.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 13, 2020, 09:26:40 PM
Travelling by train is a big risk factor Chris.  Closed up in a carriage with all those other passengers breathing at you.

Not on a Sunday mate, at least not on the journey up there, coming back is another matter though.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

I note the Government is planing on introducing Emergency Legislation to the House next week with the aim being to have it all passed and signed off by the weekend.

This will be in force for two years and give them a lot of powers they don't already have, some of which are quite draconian, although those are unlikely to be used other than if we get to the worst case scenario. This procedure of granting it'self Emergency Powers is  far more common than people realise, mainly because those powers are seldom used, we are now in the rare situation where they are likely to be used however.

The interesting one from our own parochial point of view, is how this will impact model shows, as the banning of gatherings over "x" number of people is likely to be one of first enforced.

Now what is "x" likely to be ? If the measures are purely to ease the pressure on the Emergency Services then there is an argument that model shows/flower shows and a host of other hobby type events place minimal to zero pressure on the police, they could in theory place a small amount of pressure on the health services given the age range of those attending, but normally this is catered for by the voluntary sector (St Johns, Red Cross etc) who also use the events to fund raise and generally raise awareness of their activities. So there is an argument that says you don't need to enforce this ban on model shows etc ? However will they take that path ? Unlikely in my view as the legal arguments could get interesting and it would spoil the current mantra of "all in this together".

So do you choose 500 or 1,000. Or maybe 3,000 as was being used in France ? Whatever they choose it is likely to be replaced by a total ban if and when we get to the peak of the epidemic sometime in the spring.

Please note I am only talking about shows in England here as I really do not know how devolution works in this scenario.

If we don't get shows then that impacts not only on Clubs but also venues. I really don't understand the economics of most small traders as I suspect for some at least it is a part time business that links in with their hobby, however they will still be impacted to a greater or lesser extent. A lot of people will be anxiously checking their trade insurance policies at the moment, that's if they have any.

At the end of the day when we eventually come out the other side of this epidemic, which we will, we are likely to face a drastically changed hobby. However it will recover and the speed at which is does will be down to us.

kitbasher

It'll be interesting to see how those powers pan out - how they are applied and how they are subsequently ended.

Not wanting to violate a key forum rule here, so will say no more.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on March 14, 2020, 03:52:32 AM
and how they are subsequently ended.

They'll be put in place for two years as is the norm under these situations and will eventually lapse. Governments very seldom go to the trouble of pushing a Bill through Parliament to rescind such powers.

Probably find the Elstree show is under threat as well mate  :-\

kitbasher

I was thinking more about certain personalities within government, and certain advisors.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Nick

This show has now been cancelled. Their next show will take place on 9th May 2021.

kitbasher

Thanks Nick.  Saw that late yesterday on Facetube.

NARSES2

That's a pain. Mind you the train journey might have been interesting given the timetable changes.

So that means the next scheduled one for the "Southern" outpost of the SIG is Elstree ? Assuming of course :-\