Rutan Train EZ II

Started by 63cpe, February 23, 2020, 02:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

While searching for parts and rearranging some stash I got distracted and got playing around with some parts. That's how I stumbled on a new project: The Rutan Train EZ II.

There was off course the Rutan Train EZ (predecessor of the Fairchild T-46, a competitor in the Next Generation Trainer competition to replace the T-37) but there just had to be a successor to it in a totally different layout. More like the distinctive "Rutan styling", so a canard like the Long EZ and Vari EZ types. So here's were I'm at this moment:

IMG_20200223_210707554 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20200223_210834791 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20200223_210844226 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Tail cone will get more proud and longer to include a vertical fin. Engines (sourced from the1/144 White Knight 2) are to be on the rear in DC-9 style. The cockpit from an 1/72 F-16 B is grafted in and the canopy plus framing will get faired on to the 1/144 Space ship one fuselage. Main wing is from Disney's Rochelle (or Tara which is the same moulding).

So far, so good....

David aka 63cpe

PR19_Kit

VERY stylish, I like that a lot.  :thumbsup:

And very Rutan too........ ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

major

Now that looks interesting!  ;D

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Cobra

Very Cool :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: has a Bit of a Gerry Anderson flavor to it! Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Dizzyfugu

63cpe

Thanks gentlemen!

Meanwhile some putty was used to make the rear more proud and the edge of the cockpit also needed a little putty to fill the gaps.
IMG_20200306_104943765 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20200306_104949398 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

The f-16 canopy and framing has a fairing at the rear. This is also made longer and higher to fair into the rear section.

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

strobez

Oh, sign me up for this. I love it already!
Thanks!

Greg