RAF Fairey Gannett C.O.I.N/patrol aircraft.

Started by chrisonord, February 16, 2020, 01:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

During the  1960's  the  RAF  were based in Malaysia  to defend  against  Indonesian  incursions and  fly overs.  Aircraft used were Shackleton 's  Victors and Javelin 's to name a few. I was thinking  that a Gannett  fitted with  auxiliary fuel tanks in the weapons bay  and offensive weapons on wing stations  could be a  useable asset  in this theater.  Its slow  speed  and long  loiter time could  work in its favour.  Weapon wise, rocket pods and freefall bombs  are relatively easy to  find  for that time frame  but  guns  or gun pods of that era used by the RAF  are a relative unknown to me. Aden cannons in pods would I suppose be the order, but, I have never seen any gun pods fitted to RAF  aircraft to  go off. U.S Hi-peg gun pods could at a stretch  work, but something more home grown would be  preferred.  Any ideas will be most  welcome.
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

I like the idea.  Maestro models do a set of wing mounted Aden pods for the Viggen.  I'm not sure if the RAF used them but it wouldn't be much of a stretch.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MMMK7205?result-token=8YpHt

Alternatively, you could easily modify a pair of drop tanks.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Quote from: Mossie on February 16, 2020, 01:37:27 PM
I like the idea.  Maestro models do a set of wing mounted Aden pods for the Viggen.  I'm not sure if the RAF used them but it wouldn't be much of a stretch.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MMMK7205?result-token=8YpHt

Alternatively, you could easily modify a pair of drop tanks.
I will look in to a set of those, cheers  Mossie.
I have  a load of the Hasegawa  HIPEG mk4 20mm cannon pods in the bits boxes too they are of a similar time frame  and by then tried and tested too. :thumbsup:
Chris

Scotaidh

Instead of the dustbin radar, you could install a gun turret similar to those on a B-29.  I don't know if the RAF had those, but Whif not?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

chrisonord

Quote from: Scotaidh on February 17, 2020, 12:11:32 AM
Instead of the dustbin radar, you could install a gun turret similar to those on a B-29.  I don't know if the RAF had those, but Whif not?
I like rhe idea but its its not what I have  in mind  for it. I want to  keep it as a standard aircraft as I can.  The Gannets are surplus Royal navy aircraft and  will have  minimal  modifications to  do the job  needed. The third crew member will be set the task  of observing ground  movements along the  border.
Chris

Scotaidh

Quote from: chrisonord on February 17, 2020, 06:19:31 AM
Quote from: Scotaidh on February 17, 2020, 12:11:32 AM
I like rhe idea but its its not what I have  in mind  for it. I want to  keep it as a standard aircraft as I can.  The Gannets are surplus Royal navy aircraft and  will have  minimal  modifications to  do the job  needed. The third crew member will be set the task  of observing ground  movements along the  border.
Chris

Maybe you could "borrow"the gun pack from a Hunter? - should be lots of room in the fwd end of the bomb bay.  Or, maybe you could use the gun pack from a Canberra?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TallEng

I know i did a Fairey Gannet as a coin type aircraft on here a couple of years ago.
cant find it now, but basically I gave it a Turret (from an Invader) instead of the dustbin radar,
as mentioned above and RP's on the wings which as I recall the Gannet was wired/set up for any way.
So for a simple RAF version you just need to find some RP's (Airfix Typhoon) although I believe the Gannet
would have used the zero length rocket rails.
(I did mine in Light Stone/Dark Green Camouflage)
HTH
Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Dizzyfugu

The early Fairey Spearfish had a (dorsal) remote-controlled barbette with a pair of 0.5" machine guns.

Not certain about fuselage-mounted guns, though: There are a LOT of prop blades in the way... But how about a tilted gun pack in the fuselage (firing outside of the proeller arc) for strafing in the weapons' bay?

chrisonord

I am going to use the weapons bay  for extra fuel  to keep it on station longer  and as Dizzy says fuselage  guns will have  the propellers to  deal with. I  am thinking of  something similar to the  skyraider but not  as heavily armed  if you will , also with a  bit of OV-10 mixed in.
Forward firing  cannons under the wings are the way forward  for my build  as I want it to have  very little  as to modifications done to it.  I think I have a pair of tanks that can be modified  to house  a single  Aden  cannon  in each. Suitable  barrels  will have to be found  though
Chris

jcf

The Rat

The Gannet as a COIN aircraft is so obvious (once you hear it) I'm surprised more haven't done it. So do it, and you and TallEng can make the rest of us look like the right fools that we are!  ;D ;D ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr