Arado Ar 540 "Kondor"

Started by col_kilgore, February 15, 2020, 02:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col_kilgore

Hi everyone here is my first venture into whiffing !

I usually model real world subjects but have been a long time lurker on here and having recently received some Tamiya 1/100 kits as a birthday present I decided to have a go at a Luft 46 inspired subject.

So work has begun on this , the Arado Ar540 "Kondor" high altitude jet interceptor .

First a little bit of backstory for the design , the Kondor was introduced as a stop gap measure in early 1947 after the Luftwaffe high command realised the need for a high altitude interceptor as a deterrent against high flying Superfortresses carrying nuclear bombs which have become the Americans main strategic asset.

As you can see I have used the Tamiya 1/100 Ilyushin Beagle as a base for the design and will be using a bit of scale-o-rama to make it into a 1/72 scale fighter ( as can be seen from the photo below with one of its ancestors its still a big aircraft ! )

IMG_20200215_004332018_BURST001 by Colonel Kilgore, on Flickr

IMG_20200215_004848304_BURST001 by Colonel Kilgore, on Flickr

IMG_20200215_005121112 by Colonel Kilgore, on Flickr

NARSES2

Many apologies for my delay in approving this.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Dizzyfugu

Curious how this turns out. I had a similar idea a while ago, when I abused an 1:100 Il-28's wings on a turbopropped Me 410; the fuselage lends itself to an 1:72 (jet) fighter aircraft, maybe with Me 262 wings...?

PR19_Kit

What an entrance into Whiff World!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

YES!!  It's clear that you belong in Whiffworld. Welcome aboard.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Quote from: col_kilgore on February 15, 2020, 02:45:25 PM
Hi everyone here is my first venture into whiffing !

I usually model real world subjects

Welcome, what you describe is not a sin but an outflowing of your natural artistic inventiveness.

I look forwaed to seeing how this one goes, and to seeing what comes in the future.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

col_kilgore

Thanks everyone for the welcome .

A bit more work done on the build last night . As the wings are on " backwards "  I have had to reprofile the wing roots and extend them in one direction and shorten in the other . The extension was done with  Revell plastic putty and I am really pleased with how they have turned out once sanded and primed . Still a tiny bit more filling on the underside of the root to do and will need a bit of filler in the joins once the wings are glued on .

IMG_20200225_230005223 by Colonel Kilgore, on Flickr

IMG_20200225_230023483 by Colonel Kilgore, on Flickr

IMG_20200225_230326345 by Colonel Kilgore, on Flickr

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Scotaidh

Are you re-profiling the wing? 

I don't usually put wings on backwards because of the amount of work involved - might as well just use the kit wing as a shape-template and scratch-build -and that is a lot of PSR.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

col_kilgore

A little more work done this week .

Joined up the fuselage and re-profiled and shortened the tail fin and I also have reshaped the tail end of the fusalage after removing the tail gunner section.

I have also used the kits original nose glazing as the nose cone , luckily the  framing was almost non-existent so just needed a quick sand down to lose the frames , just a little more filling and sanding to get the shape right.

I  also gave some thought to the canopy and ordered a Pavla vacform for a D.H Vampire as it seemed to fit the style. As can be seen still needs a little tidying up , although as its my first time working with a vacform canopy I'm quite pleased that I managed to cut it out without any major  damage ! . Just need to work on reshaping the cockpit itself and see where the canopy will sit.

IMG_20200302_211348153 by Colonel Kilgore, on Flickr

IMG_20200304_195016045 by Colonel Kilgore, on Flickr

TheChronicOne

Yeah looks pretty good. Cutting out them things can be a bit sketchy.  :o
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

AndrewF

This looks very convincing already.