What if HMS Hood were converted into Aircraft Carrier?

Started by ysi_maniac, February 14, 2020, 05:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Conversion of HMS Hood into aircraft carrier by a process similar to that of HMS Courageous

Will die without understanding this world.

Captain Canada

Very cool. I'd love to build something like that one day !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

That's an interesting idea. It might be part of a larger scheme centering on the idea that the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty ended up with different provisions, leading to Hood being converted in the same way as the Lexington and Saratoga.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Doug K

Quote from: Weaver on February 14, 2020, 11:57:17 PM
That's an interesting idea. It might be part of a larger scheme centering on the idea that the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty ended up with different provisions, leading to Hood being converted in the same way as the Lexington and Saratoga.

The treaty also drove the thinking on hybrids, so it could work. Maybe they could have sole Ed the Hood's perennial problem - she was a very wet ship!

Rheged

An Airfix kit of Hood does exist......this could be quite fascinating!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

JoeP

You might also find Hood from Tamiya or Italeri.
Getting that flight deck and an island and stack, RN fashion, that'd be harder and will likely require much scratch building, plus sourcing detail parts.

Count me in as another vote to see this in plastic!
:thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

ysi_maniac

Some more possibilities, this time based on HMS Ark Royal (there is 1/600 model by Airfix) with two hybrid options.

Will die without understanding this world.

DarrenP2

given Hood had sisters under construction there could have been 2-3 of them

Old Wombat

If Hood, Anson, Howe & Rodney had all been built, 2 as battlecruisers & 2 as aircraft carriers, that would have given the RN 2 fast carrier battle groups at the beginning of WW2.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

I do like the second Hood hybrid with her guns forward, but I can imagine the comments from the FAA types upstairs to the poor old "normal matelots" forward  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.