BUFF landing at Duxford

Started by scooter, February 13, 2020, 09:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Neat stuff  :thumbsup:

Mind you, it only had to do it once -- right  ;D .  I saw that B-52 in the IWM USAF hanger at Duxford in 2002.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

scooter

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 13, 2020, 10:16:00 AM
  I saw that B-52 in the IWM USAF hanger at Duxford in 2002.

As did I in 2005.  Pretty awesome plane, and plastic just doesn't capture the presence of such a machine
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

They used to come into Calgary International fairly regularly when they were based just over the border. I watched them more than a few times coming in to land and then later take off again. It was during the airshow season we got to see them, the airfield/airports which ran a show couldn't handle them so they would 'overnight' at Calgary during the show weekends.

zenrat

I got up close and personal with a BUFF at the Avalon air show a year or two ago.  It was smaller than I expected.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

I have only seen a B-52 once.  I was on top of a hill during Exercise Kangaroo '82 as a plane piquet.   My co-piquet was having a snooze under a tree, when I saw a B-52 flying down the valley and along the side of the hill we we sitting on.  I kicked him awake and asked if he thought we should radio it in.   He had a think and said, "Nah, too late now and anyway, B-52s are on our 'side', as far as he knew." And he then went back to sleep.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

When they bombed Iraq in the First Gulf War the USAF TDY'd some BUFFs to RAF Fairford. Their take-off path was about a mile south of my office (when I was there....) and as they always stayed low for ages they were very obvious, and LOUD too!  :o

I figured where they were going before it was announced on the news of course, especially as they took off in squadron strength!

BUFFs have been regulars at the Fairford RIAT airshows for many years, and it looks as if they'll still be there for many MORE years!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Wow. That was awesome ! He nailed it too ! After 15,000 flight hours, all of those bombs dropped, and that big old bird can still slam into the ground like an F-14 alighting on a carrier deck. One of the most impressive aviation things I've seen in quite awhile. Thanks for sharing ! And I loved that bit of Americana at the end " with the crowd, you don't want to screw it up "

:bow:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Quote from: Captain Canada on February 14, 2020, 08:40:18 PM
Wow. That was awesome ! He nailed it too ! After 15,000 flight hours, all of those bombs dropped, and that big old bird can still slam into the ground like an F-14 alighting on a carrier deck. One of the most impressive aviation things I've seen in quite awhile. Thanks for sharing ! And I loved that bit of Americana at the end " with the crowd, you don't want to screw it up "

And there's your In the Navy GB entry right there.  Wing fold mechanism might have to be a bit complex to get it into the hanger deck (maybe easier to take them off?) and your carrier will need a bigger lift but otherwise, blue paint, hook, sorted.   :thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

You're gonna need a bigger boat....
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: zenrat on February 15, 2020, 12:20:12 AM
Quote from: Captain Canada on February 14, 2020, 08:40:18 PM

And there's your In the Navy GB entry right there.  Wing fold mechanism might have to be a bit complex to get it into the hanger deck (maybe easier to take them off?) and your carrier will need a bigger lift but otherwise, blue paint, hook, sorted.   :thumbsup:

Quote from: Mossie on February 15, 2020, 03:08:25 AM
You're gonna need a bigger boat....

Erm! you were just saying -----

This is Bill's (Finsrin) on the Beyond the Sprues forum, recent build --- his Mega-Carrier in 1/700

PR19_Kit

I like the 'Saratoga' style funnel, it could almost sail using that to catch the wind!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I'd have to re-read his thread to find out what he used as a base kit, but IIRC it was a 1/350 scale carrier.

EDIT: just checked, he used the 1/350 USS John F. Kennedy.

sandiego89

Quote from: zenrat on February 14, 2020, 12:25:31 AM
I got up close and personal with a BUFF at the Avalon air show a year or two ago.  It was smaller than I expected.

I think it's a bit deceptive as the fuselage is not as wide as we are used to seeing with modern widebody airliners, guess bombs are smaller than (most !  :lol:) passengers! but it does have a 185 foot, 4,000 square foot wing, and a MTOW approaching 500,000 lbs....   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

rickshaw

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 15, 2020, 02:03:39 PM
Quote from: zenrat on February 14, 2020, 12:25:31 AM

I think it's a bit deceptive as the fuselage is not as wide as we are used to seeing with modern widebody airliners, guess bombs are smaller than (most !  :lol:) passengers! but it does have a 185 foot, 4,000 square foot wing, and a MTOW approaching 500,000 lbs....   

Just need a more powerful catapult...  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.