In The Navy GB - General Discussion - GB EXTENDED UNTIL MIDNIGHT 14th JUNE.

Started by NARSES2, January 31, 2020, 06:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This will be the place for your general chit-chat

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Would a Royal Navy Air Service armoured train be allowed in this group build?

TheChronicOne

Going to try to see if my Pluto could qualify for this "part started" allowance. It's 100% spares taken from the parts stash and doesn't remotely resemble any known aircraft. It has parts taken from about 8 kits. The fuselage isn't even a fuselage; it's a B-58 pod.  Engines are .... I think... 1/100 scale from a Boeing 707. Etc.  If memory serves the only gluing I've done was to put the cockpit tub in but otherwise all I've done is cut out the hole for the cockpit I think... I'll have to re-visit my page for it and see what the score is.
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: McColm on January 31, 2020, 01:40:09 PM

Does it have "RNAS" splashed on the side in big white letters? If so, yes.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 31, 2020, 04:37:55 PM
Going to try to see if my Pluto could qualify for this "part started" allowance. It's 100% spares taken from the parts stash and doesn't remotely resemble any known aircraft. It has parts taken from about 8 kits. The fuselage isn't even a fuselage; it's a B-58 pod.  Engines are .... I think... 1/100 scale from a Boeing 707. Etc.  If memory serves the only gluing I've done was to put the cockpit tub in but otherwise all I've done is cut out the hole for the cockpit I think... I'll have to re-visit my page for it and see what the score is.

This is a "Yes".

kitbasher

I like the 'Pluto' idea.  I'd come up with a cross-kitting possibility, but I too have a bunch of parts from numerous scrapped models plus spares that could make a naval Frankenfighter.  Will have a ponder.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/Corsair GA.1/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 01, 2020, 12:38:58 AM

This is a "Yes".

And I'll move it a little nearer the date  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Already have an idea - or better: use the GB to tackle the idea, since it will involve heavy kitbashing. But the GB is a good motivator for such projects.  ;)

I assume that "Marines" of any sorts will be eligible for submission, too?

McColm

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 01, 2020, 12:37:47 AM
Quote from: McColm on January 31, 2020, 01:40:09 PM

Does it have "RNAS" splashed on the side in big white letters? If so, yes.
Yes it will,  another idea is similar to what Hornby did using an DMU from Northern Rail with a Royal Air Force theme on the units. Although this might not get approval as it's a promotion and not used in general service with the Royal Navy.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 01, 2020, 04:10:06 AM
Already have an idea - or better: use the GB to tackle the idea, since it will involve heavy kitbashing. But the GB is a good motivator for such projects.  ;)

I assume that "Marines" of any sorts will be eligible for submission, too?

Pretty sure that is stated in the rules, Dizzy. ;)

Edit: Yep, Rule 2. :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 01, 2020, 12:38:58 AM

This is a "Yes".

Huzzah!   Regards to yous mods.
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

Hmm....

On the one hand, there's a TON of stuff I could do for this. On the other hand, I really don't know if I'm going to get the time, and what I promised myself I'd try to do this year is complete part-started builds. Ironically, two of the ones I REALLY want to finish are naval, but they're far to-far advanced to be eligible.

Suggestion for the armour modellers: Get a kit of one of the turretted LVT-4 Amtrack vehicles (plenty around in a variety of scales), give it 2nd hand to one of those countries that endlessly re-build and upgrade WWII vehicles, and have them upgrade it. Don't go mad (you have to retain buoyancy) but there's still a lot you could do. The Scorpion turret seems an ideal choice, since it's aluminum and therefore light. Alternatively, you could replace the WWII 37mm or 75mm gun with a modern autocannon in the original turret. Breach-loading mortar? ATGWs? Loads of possibilities.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

zenrat

I may do something with an AAVR7.

Although I will not have the statue mounted on the bow.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on February 01, 2020, 07:21:36 PM
Suggestion for the armour modellers: Get a kit of one of the turretted LVT-4 Amtrack vehicles (plenty around in a variety of scales), give it 2nd hand to one of those countries that endlessly re-build and upgrade WWII vehicles, and have them upgrade it. Don't go mad (you have to retain buoyancy) but there's still a lot you could do. The Scorpion turret seems an ideal choice, since it's aluminum and therefore light. Alternatively, you could replace the WWII 37mm or 75mm gun with a modern autocannon in the original turret. Breach-loading mortar? ATGWs? Loads of possibilities.

If you have an LVT(A)-4 kit and a V-150 Commando kit, you can always do a turret swap to get an upgraded LVT plus one of these:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '