In The Navy GB - The Rules - GB EXTENDED UNTIL MIDNIGHT 14th JUNE.

Started by NARSES2, January 31, 2020, 06:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Right, here is the first draft of the suggested rules for this G.B. Your views and opinions are more than welcome.

Can I once again thank Old Wombie and Zenrat for volunteering to moderate this G.B. Thanks gents  :thumbsup:

Chris

1.  Group Build runs from 00.01 Sunday 1st March 2020 to 24:00 Sunday 31st May 2020 14th June 2020.

2)  "In the Navy" is taken to mean any naval, both military and civil (Merchant Navy), subject, so ships, boats, submarines, naval aircraft and Marine forces, including their aircraft, vehicles, armour, weapons etc, where they are part of a Navy. It does not need to be at sea, you could have riverine and lake based as well. Plus you can go down the Sci Fi route if that's what floats your boat  :angel:. For instance there are numerous watery planets in Sci Fi novels.

3)  You may build, draw or write as many entries as you like (good luck!).  The posting of in-progress pictures is encouraged as always.  Back stories - however long or short - win extra points.  Well OK they don't but they're always nice to see.

4)  "Preparation" work is allowed prior to the start of the GB - this includes the cutting out and cleaning up of parts, even printing your own decals, but anything involving paint or glue is not allowed.

5)  Part-started models will be considered by the moderators. You should explain what you have done or post pics (even better) and they will decide, their decision being final - we are relying on the honour of our membership to uphold this rule.

6)  No rule 6 - is there ever a rule 6 ? (or is it 7 or 8 ?)

7)  Moderators – Old Wombat and Zenrat, thankyou gents.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Thanks for setting this up!

Rules are great for me but you may want to comment on Coast Guards, lifeguards, police etc. I know there are a few builders that prefer not to do military builds. Personally I vote no and keeping it to strictly naval service otherwise it would run into a generic maritime build. Folks could do hospital ships, survey ships, SAR equipment etc if they prefer a non combatant role.

Could also add civilian assets pressed into Naval Service into the examples. I know Kit needs an excuse to get his enormous Atlantic Conveyor idea built! 

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 31, 2020, 11:36:42 AM

I know Kit needs an excuse to get his enormous Atlantic Conveyor idea built! 

I don't need an  excuse, I need TIME, and lots of it.

It's not a Whiff though.......................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 31, 2020, 11:36:42 AM
Thanks for setting this up!

Rules are great for me but you may want to comment on Coast Guards, lifeguards, police etc. I know there are a few builders that prefer not to do military builds. Personally I vote no and keeping it to strictly naval service otherwise it would run into a generic maritime build. Folks could do hospital ships, survey ships, SAR equipment etc if they prefer a non combatant role.

Could also add civilian assets pressed into Naval Service into the examples. I know Kit needs an excuse to get his enormous Atlantic Conveyor idea built! 

-Dave

Hi, Dave! <_<

It isn't mentioned above & we missed it in our discussions but I think Coast Guard should be OK as an entry because most are/were arms of the military Navy & have a wartime role.

The paramilitaries/emergency services types, I agree, should not be permitted.

However, I shall confer with zenrat & get back to everybody.

<edit.  Fred here (I love the powers a mod has to edit other's posts).  Coastguard is OK with me.  We should have remembered them when we drew up the rules.  Lets blame Chris for that.  ;D ;D ;D>

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

tigercat

Lots of Naval brigades out there  in history  too although mostly Poor Bloody Infantry so I guess options are limited to fiddly figure painting

Ah but of course the Navy had armoured cars  and also in some countries coastal  artillery

Weaver

Quote from: tigercat on February 01, 2020, 10:21:57 AM
Lots of Naval brigades out there  in history  too although mostly Poor Bloody Infantry so I guess options are limited to fiddly figure painting

Ah but of course the Navy had armoured cars  and also in some countries coastal  artillery

USMC and Russian Marines have tanks and several other marine forces have light armour. Many of them also use amphibious vehicles, with varying degrees of armour and weapons.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Old Wombat

Our aim here is the leave the GB as open as possible, within the "In the Navy" framework, to allow entrants the ability to build ships, boats, watercraft, aircraft, vehicles, etc., both combatant & non-combatant, to suit their preference & ideas.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Indeed
Want to build a police car for the GB?  Then simply claim it's a Marine Provost dockyard patrol car and change the badges and lettering.
Want to build a British 4 engined heavy?  Then claim the RN FAA had a strategic bombing role in the 38-46 war.
Maybe the Australian marines armoured corps carried out an amphibious assault (in snorkel equipped Mk IVs) on the beaches of the Gallipoli Peninsula in 1915?

I would particularly like to encourage anyone thinking about naval armoured trains to do more than just think and put pencil to paper or knife to plastic or finger to mouse and get creating.

Basically anything goes as long as you connect it to a navy.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tigercat

Hopefully  it will inspire people  and we won't  just get lots of aircraft.

The Royal Navy Armoured Tram battalion was a thing right ?

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on February 02, 2020, 02:29:10 AM
Want to build a British 4 engined heavy?  Then claim the RN FAA had a strategic bombing role in the 38-46 war.

Or just give the LRMPA role to the FAA instead of the light blues.

QuoteI would particularly like to encourage anyone thinking about naval armoured trains to do more than just think and put pencil to paper or knife to plastic or finger to mouse and get creating.

As long as you don't get mixed up and put knife to finger it'll be fine.

Also, don't put knife to mouse or the RSPCA will want a word.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

PR19_Kit

I may yet get to build one of my LCACs then.

Perhaps with a USMC Harrier aboard?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force counts as a navy.  One which IRL has its own aircraft and even some aircraft carriers helicopter destroyers.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 03, 2020, 02:36:14 AM

........ and even some aircraft carriers helicopter destroyers.

Do they exist JUST to destroy helicopters then?  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 02, 2020, 03:26:12 PM

I may yet get to build one of my LCACs then.

Perhaps with a USMC Harrier aboard?  ;)

I've just tried it, and huge though the LCAC is, it's not wide enough for the Harrier's wings.  :banghead:

Either I build the little known folding wing version of the Harrier  ;D or I need a cunning plan.  ;D

And I've actually just come up with one.................  ;)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

I hope you are NOT thinking of SHORTENING the Harrier wings!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet