My Whiffie past, 1/700 scale

Started by sandiego89, January 27, 2020, 04:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Going through my old boxes of 1/700 scale aircraft and odds and ends, came across numerous whiffies from my (way) past that touched me with a bit of nostalgia. All were likely done in the late 1970's to mid-1980's when I was around 9-16 years old, and were based on my imagination, or if something was not available in kit form I made it from scratch or by bashing in 1/700 scale.   

The organized bin on the left with some old builds and a few more recent.  Mostly 1/700 scale and a few 1/350.

The "treasure box" of old stuff on the right

1/700 scale.
Top row: Yak-38's with various abuses including a F-104, a Mirage?, a VTOL fighter, straight wing and 2 Phantoms, one as VTOL, one tailless. 

Second Row. U-2 (Betty wings), and 3 hypersonic Whifs, one Vigilante based and one clearly Sparrow missile based.

Bottom Row, various Stealth fighters (we didn't know what the F-117 would look like yet, but the rumors were out)

More 1/700 scale

Top row: CH-46 (on side) made from an A-3. CH-53 again A-3 based, B-29 based helo, A-3 based Skycrane.

Middle row: high winged P-3, P-51 on floats, Gannet on floats (why not!?), High wing B-25 seaplane, Carvair-ish B-29 (cant make out the high cockpit)

Front row: E-2C as a 4 engine turboprop, P-38 turned Vampire, B-52 from a Tu-95 wing and scratch fuselage and tail.   

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

Teeny-tiny little things, ain't they! ;D :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

This is so cool ! Are you going to refurb some ? The Harriers look good as well....144th scale ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

I like the tiny twin-boomer (Vampire?) and the asymmetric airliner with a single half-wing ;D :wub:

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 27, 2020, 04:34:36 PM
P-38 turned Vampire
What does that mean?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Tophe

I am glad I included a new chapter in the History of asymmetric aircraft, at the (temporary) end of my site
http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/Asymm_addition.htm

Thanks! :thumbsup:

sandiego89

Quote from: Tophe on January 27, 2020, 10:40:39 PM

P-38 turned Vampire
What does that mean?

It means I turned a Lockheed P-38 into a DH Vampire by removing the wing engines and adding a bit to the rear of the center pod to represent a jet engine.

Yes I used to regularly glue my fingers together with these small details (and still do today!)

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 27, 2020, 07:11:57 PM
This is so cool ! Are you going to refurb some ? The Harriers look good as well....144th scale ?

Thanks.

The Harriers near the top of the first picture are both 1/72. The lower is a KGR3 in a Whif Falklands fit with a buddy refueling pod under the starboard wing. The top Harrier is a Frankenstein Harrier from various kits: GR3 cockpit, scratch nose a shortened T/2 fuselage and wings with the ferry tips crudely hacked off. It was reassembled to serve as a paint test mule-  must have a dozen coats on it.
Dave "Sandiego89"

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Quote from: sandiego89 on January 28, 2020, 05:59:42 AM
Quote from: Tophe on January 27, 2020, 10:40:39 PM
P-38 turned Vampire
What does that mean?
It means I turned a Lockheed P-38 into a DH Vampire by removing the wing engines and adding a bit to the rear of the center pod to represent a jet engine.
Wonderful! I am going to draw this, for my collection of P-38 drawings! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Tophe

Here is my interpretation/dream:
- SaD-38A: very P-38 with a jet like the Vampire
- SaD-38B: more Vampire-like
- SaD-38C: improved somehow

Thanks again! :thumbsup: