jcf

Captain Canada

Lovely little Canadair T-bird chase plane  :thumbsup:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

It's nice that Boeing are following my philosophy and building aircraft with longer wings.  ;D

Wasn't the 777 offered with a much larger wing fold option originally? Did they ever build any like that?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Those engines are huge! They are 13ft wide, wider than the body of a Boeing 737  :o

Just look at this pic of the GE-9X on a 747 https://www.godsavethepoints.com/boeing-777x-ge9x-engines-larger-737/

Was anyone else let down by just how little of the wing actually folded up?

Weaver

Personally I can't imagine anything I'd feel more confident in than an automatic folding wing controlled by Boeing's electronics...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Nick on January 28, 2020, 03:36:46 AM
Was anyone else let down by just how little of the wing actually folded up?

It's just the minimum that's needed to operate the aircraft safely on non-A380 airports. I do not know the exact wing span, but there's a certain limit - I'd guess the 747 is the historical benchmark. And even though the 777 wings fold just that little, this feature massively broadens the scope of airports, where it can be (safely) operated.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

The Caravelle had a brake parachute...  :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

I'd like to see them do the trick that the FAA did with their Scimitar display team at Farnborough once.

They took off as  four-ship, did their display and landed as two, two ships, from OPPOSITE ends of the runway! As they approached each other each of the aircraft folded their wings and passed between the opposing pair!  :o

The gasps of the crowd were almost audible above the scream of the eight Avons.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 27, 2020, 03:24:42 PM
Wasn't the 777 offered with a much larger wing fold option originally? Did they ever build any like that?

None were built as no customers were interested.

TheChronicOne

That was sweet!! I think it's a really sharp looking airplane... I like how the tips of the wings are well above the fuselage when in the sky...   that wing flex!! So cool. And the folding wings are neat. The planes are getting too large for the airports so like ships being designed to fit through the Panama Canal they're having to innovate which can lead to neat new things (we hope).

On the darker side... rumor mill on the Greater Internet has people already swearing they'll never step foot on one.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on January 28, 2020, 10:00:12 AM

On the darker side... rumor mill on the Greater Internet has people already swearing they'll never step foot on one.

See Weaver's post #4 above................  ;)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Weaver on January 28, 2020, 04:04:52 AM
Personally I can't imagine anything I'd feel more confident in than an automatic folding wing controlled by Boeing's electronics...

;D ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-