Canberra interceptor wiff

Started by chrisonord, January 25, 2020, 07:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

I am thinking of  digging out my airfix  B-57 Canberra  as my next project.  This kit will be  built as discussed before as an in service  RAF  interceptor  armed with a pair of red deans  and a  new radar nose.  Reason I  want to use this version  is in wiff world  the RAF  liked the  cockpit layout and canopy of the B-57 especially for this role.  I am thinking  of putting a pair of  RATO bottles on it to give it the  extra  kick in the backside to  get it airborne and to altitude, was this system ever tried/used on the Canberra, as I have not found  anything.  I know its whiff world but I want  some plausibility in this  project.
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TallEng

A Canberra was fitted with the De Haviland Spectre rocket in the rear of the bomb bay
see here https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/Rights-Managed/MEV-10839720
I believe it got to 70,000ft quite quickly, might that do?
Freightdog do a conversion with Rocket pack for what you want
see here https://www.freightdogmodels.co.uk/military-products/military-aircraft-conversions/1-72-scale/freightdog-models/freightdog-1-72-ee-canberra-p-12-all-weather-fighter-project-conversion.html

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

chrisonord

Cheers Keith,
That will do the trick. I am thinking about putting  the gun pack on as somewhere I have one in one of the spares tins  :thumbsup:
Chris

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on January 25, 2020, 08:33:19 AM
Cheers Keith,
That will do the trick. I am thinking about putting  the gun pack on as somewhere I have one in one of the spares tins  :thumbsup:
Chris

IIRC, the B-57 had it's 20mm's in the wings.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

I've had one one the go for eons!  Base kit is an Airfix B-57 that was being converted back to a UK real world Canberra then I changed my mind.  All that's left to do is the cockpit (fair amount of work due to the previous amount of work done to the kit). Have always planned 85 Sqn markings. Dunno why, probably cos I've spare fuselage chequerboard markings.

Look forward to seeing yours!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

chrisonord

Cheers, mine will be a British Canberra  but with a copied  forward fuselage, from what I can see they are the same apart from that. I have just had a look for the  cannon pod but it's  missing  so I have  either used it on something else  or its done one.  I wonder if  anyone has a surplus one
Chris

Hobbes

Wiil you be using the Freightdog Canberra Interceptor set? That includes a RATO installation.

PR19_Kit

If you used PR9 wings and engines and you wouldn't need the rockets. They had so much thrust they only needed 70-80% for take-off!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: Hobbes on January 25, 2020, 11:08:13 AM
Wiil you be using the Freightdog Canberra Interceptor set? That includes a RATO installation.
I have one of those  sets already for it but didn't  consider the  rocket motor  part, but I may as well use it , it would make it thst bit more plausible I  dare say.  Kit, I have an xtrakit  Canberra PR9, in the to do pile, I will see how easy it would be to  transplant them.  I don't really need it to have larger wings, but the engines would help. I will have a  look at them both and see what's what.  :thumbsup:
Chris

PR19_Kit

A PR9's wings aren't THAT much larger really, just a tad deeper chord inboard of the engines and the tips are squared off.

I know these things where large wings are concerned......................  ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 25, 2020, 12:37:06 PM
A PR9's wings aren't THAT much larger really, just a tad deeper chord inboard of the engines and the tips are squared off.

I know these things where large wings are concerned......................  ;) ;)
I have dug both kits out of the pile and  taken the wings off the sprues and put a pr9 wing to the b57 fuselage, unfortunately, it won't work without a lot of  serious work to where the wings  join the fuselage, plus I  will be losing my PR9 which I have a  soft spot for.  So back to the drawing board on that front.  Rocket assistance is going to be  the way forward I  think.

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on January 25, 2020, 01:01:06 PM

I have dug both kits out of the pile and  taken the wings off the sprues and put a pr9 wing to the b57 fuselage, unfortunately, it won't work without a lot of  serious work to where the wings  join the fuselage, plus I  will be losing my PR9 which I have a  soft spot for.  So back to the drawing board on that front.  Rocket assistance is going to be  the way forward I  think.

I thought you were just going to swap the noses Chris  :-\  Looks like a straight forward cut and stick to me.  Plus you could then have a B-47 with the PR.9 nose/cockpit, that'll get people scratching their heads ---  ;D

chrisonord

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 25, 2020, 03:03:21 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on January 25, 2020, 01:01:06 PM

I thought you were just going to swap the noses Chris  :-\  Looks like a straight forward cut and stick to me.  Plus you could then have a B-47 with the PR.9 nose/cockpit, that'll get people scratching their heads ---  ;D
Yhat is rhe most surgery I  am going to donto it Robert, it looks  a simple enough  change too. The wing off the pr9 is a big job I don't want to have  to do.  So I will be using  all of the freightdog set and a gun pack if and when I can get one.  I think  Kit might be able to help me with this.  I am going to give it a simple paint job  too, same colour as the Boulton Paul  interceptor I  did.
Chris

kitnut617

I'm a bit confused Chris (too many rum & cokes  ;D ), if you cut the fuselage of the B-57 right behind the canopy fairing, then cut the PR.9 at the same measurement, then swap the noses around, what do you have to do to the wing  :-\ :-\ :-\

kerick

Whichever way you want to go, I can't wait to see it!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise