Junkers G-X

Started by loupgarou, January 13, 2020, 03:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

After a loong time, I managed to complete some kits. Maybe I had already started a topic about them, but t would be lost in the fog of time.
Here is the frst one: the glorious Junkers G-X.
When Junkers proposed to Lufthansa the project of the G-38, it was a flying wing. Lufthansa and the Reichsluftfahrtministerium were quite dubios about the feasibility of the idea. So a test aircraft in reduced scale was built to test the concept. Maintaining the 4 propellers of the full-size aircraft, it had a single engine, a diesel Junkers L55 12-cylinder V-motor, buried in the fuselage behind the pilot, driving the propellers through various gears etc. As it was out-of-sequence in the Junkers series, and intended to have only a short usefulness, it was given a provisional name as G-X.
Unfortunately, on the first flight, soon after take-off, the plane was seen cartwheeling throught the air, out of control, till it crashed. Thanks to the open cockpit the pilot, Wolfgang von Schnitzel,  was thrown out, "landing" without too much damage in the local sewage farm (1).
After that, the Reichsluftfahrtministerium insisted that the G-38 HAD to have a regular fuselage and tail.  :banghead:

The model: reproduced in strict 1/87 scale, has been built from the Revell G-38, simply omitting the fuselage.  ;D
Wheels come from a Supermodel SM-81. Because of the very fine corrugated aluminium, for the markings (2) I had to use 40 years old Letraset (with some nerve-wracking free-hand touchup). As I had only a few letters left, I have been unable to complete the markings on the underside, and have yet to find some white disks for the rudders.  :banghead:
The front "windows" are very useful for allowing the pilot some forward view landing, given the high angle of attack of the plane. The exhaust of the diesel engine is quite evident.

(1) Historical reference: "Those magnificent men in their flying machines"
(2) Real unused number just before the G-38 registration.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

Interesting for sure ! So modern, but so, not ! Neat stuff for sure.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

63cpe

Yes, i like it! Very good, valid, plan and well built. Should be nominated for Whiffy award!
:wub:

David aka 63cpe

Dizzyfugu

Cool! I'd suspect stability issues in flight, but it looks very steampunk-ish.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Nice! :wub:
(And almost twin-boom, if the tailplane was a little more on the rear) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!