Fairey Barracuda stuff

Started by PR19_Kit, January 11, 2020, 09:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

For years I've had a FROG Barracuda in The Loft somewhere, and also an exquisite resin wing fold conversion kit for same stashed away somewhere for when the time was right to connect the two together.

More recently I've bought the  lovely Special Hobby version of the same aircraft, and casting about for something creative to do I decided that the time IS right, but..........

While I can find the SH kit, indeed I can see it from where I am now, I can't for the life of me find the FROG kit or the wing fold conversion!  :thumbsup:

So, does anyone have a spare FRIG Barra they no longer need, or (much more unlikely....) could anyone point me in the direction of the wing  fold kit? I can't even remember who made it, but Pavla may be one possibility.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Have Frog barracuda and willing to part from it....just don't have the wing fold set, sorry. PM me when interested..

David aka 63cpe

kitbasher

Don't you get building a SEAC RAF Barracuda (alternative to the Vultee Vengeance) before I finish mine!

BTW been on the go for nearly 2 years now!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

RAF it won't be Dave, but it may be BPF, so a similar area.

And it won't look like ANY Barra you've ever seen before.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 12, 2020, 01:29:45 AM

As Winkle Brown once remarked about the Barracuda when he observed it with wingsfolded, "an iron monger's paradise", Kit?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on January 12, 2020, 02:50:41 AM

As Winkle Brown once remarked about the Barracuda when he observed it with wingsfolded, "an iron monger's paradise", Kit?

Something like that Brian, yes. My reference folder currently has 15 pics of Barras with their wings folded.  ;D

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

You could do the Barra in RAF markings - it was offered to an Army Cooperation Spec in 1940.  I've got one part started for that somewhere but one of the bits is missing.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

so you're chopping off the front of a Sea Fury and adding a Centaurus?

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 12, 2020, 04:18:41 AM
You could do the Barra in RAF markings - it was offered to an Army Cooperation Spec in 1940.  I've got one part started for that somewhere but one of the bits is missing.

Proposed to spec B.20/40 for a 'Close Army Support Bomber' (see BSP Fighters and Bombers 1935-1950 (2005 print) pages 66-67.  Accompanying drawings reflect the original Barra fin/rudder/tailplane arrangement.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on January 12, 2020, 05:22:34 AM

so you're chopping off the front of a Sea Fury and adding a Centaurus?

That is something I've thought about in the past and I now have the bits. A couple of SH Barracudas and the Heritage Tempest Mk II conversion set which is no longer needed thanks to Special Hobby  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Kit the 2 resin wing fold conversions I know of are the CMK and Airwaves ones.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The radial in my pic is a Hercules from a Stirling kit, and that's quite a bit wider than the Barra fuselage. I reckon a Centaurus would be even wider than that, but I don't have one to hand.

I do have a P&W R-2800 around somewhere that may work as well, I'll see how things work out.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 12, 2020, 06:24:31 AM

Kit the 2 resin wing fold conversions I know of are the CMK and Airwaves ones.

Thanks Chris, I'll have a look about.

Regards
Kit