1/72 RAF North American Mustang FR.V, Malaya, April 1954

Started by KiwiZac, January 08, 2020, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Airfix 1/72 North American Mustang FR.V PS888 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

A few weeks ago I thought how neat an F-6D photorecon Mustang would look in the colours worn by an RAF Spitfire Mk.XIX. Imagine my surprise when a couple of days ago an Airfix F-51 turns up in a care package from Leading Observer, along with an Airfix Spit XIX which would not be needing its decals!

I haven't got a backstory beyond the Spitfire XIX not working out and the RAF instead ordered the F-6D, now designated FR.V (Fighter Reconnaissance), which gave excellent range as well as having hardpoints and guns.

I love New Airfix kits. This is the second time I've built their Mustang, and I had no problems except the aerial mast was possibly shortshot as it was very thin and broke when I tried to trim flash off it. Spares to the rescue!

Airfix Spit XIX kit A02017 donated its (very sparse!) decals for the national marking and serial, whereas the base Mustang gave a lovely selection of stencils which I used in their entirety. I used Humbrol 230 PRU Blue and (I think, I didn't note it down) Tamiya XF-83 Medium Sea Grey 2 (RAF) to adapt the XIX's paint scheme, which I think works rather well. I also dove into my spares box to find the loop aerial and oblique and vertical camera ports fairings, for which I drilled the side apertures and then got some Humbrol Clearfix over all three.

I'm pleased with how this worked out and I hope you like it!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

chrisonord

That's very nice  Zac, and it has given me  a use for a mustang I  have  in the stash.  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Leading Observer

Nice work :thumbsup: If I'd of thought of that the Mustang might not have found its way to NZ ;D
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KiwiZac

Thanks gents! It went together quickly and was a very pleasant build. It was nice to have an idea and then have the necessary bits turn up, out of the blue!

Quote from: Leading Observer on January 08, 2020, 03:06:51 PM
Nice work :thumbsup: If I'd of thought of that the Mustang might not have found its way to NZ ;D
;D

Quote from: chrisonord on January 08, 2020, 02:30:28 PM
That's very nice  Zac, and it has given me  a use for a mustang I  have  in the stash.  :thumbsup:
Chris
Happy to help! My original plan was all-over PRU Blue but I thought the scheme for PS888 as supplied by Airfix could be interesting. I'm pleased with how it turned out!
Zac in NZ

NARSES2

That's come out really well Zac.  :thumbsup:

I did one in a very similar scheme a couple of years ago. Mine had the upper colours extending lower down and red/blue national markings. It's on here, although currently caught up in the PB mess  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

andrewj

I really like this one , the colours suit it perfectly, well done indeed.

Andrew

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ

comrade harps

Whatever.

Captain Canada

Thanks for the updated pics ! She sure does look good. Now I want one. And for sure, those Airfix kits are awesome !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KiwiZac

Thank you gents!

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 11, 2020, 05:58:25 AM
Now I want one. And for sure, those Airfix kits are awesome !
I love New Airfix! And I still have an excuse subject in mind for yet another Airfix 1/72 Mustang.
Zac in NZ