My Stash Grew Again 2020

Started by NARSES2, December 31, 2019, 06:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Well here's where to put the new year's additions to your stash.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Not quite an addition, but I have been making enquiries with the manufacturer about getting hold of one of these:

No, not the Borg ship, the starship - it's a Phalanx class, halfway house between a Galaxy and a Sovereign class.  And fortunately, it's in 1400th, so it'll be in scale with the rest of my small Star Trek fleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCho6AQ4cwc
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

I hate to leave things unfinished.
In the 2019 thread I posted this.
He 219 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Then Lee said;
Fred, be warned that it looks better in the box than when you start building it - the fit is vile, the u/c bays need some serious reinforcing... Absolute filler hound and there's very few places to put enough weight to prevent it being a tail sitter.
And then Rick added;
Could you make your own version of the part that's made for the Tamiya 1/48 version; a weight in the shape of the interior of the nose, with hollows for the wheel bay and cockpit, then skin it with the wheel well/cockpit interior detail?
If you started with something malleable enough and bashed it into a rough shape, the skinning/detailing could then go over that.
Maybe some white metal engines could help, too?
Of course, that wouldn't address the other difficulties Lee mentioned...

If you look at the bottom left corner of the pic I posted there is a picture of the airframe with red bits on it.  Those are the metal weights Platz supply cast to fit snugly into the fuselage and nacelles.
Of course I am assuming 1) they fit and 2) there is enough weight.
And of course that doesn't address any fit issues.
I guess that's the problem with looking at box reviews on scalemates rather than asking people who have actually built them.

Thanks Lee.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Wooksta!

IIRC, I built mine in 1994 and I think I have a couple still tucked away in me Mam's loft.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

nighthunter

Lee, that Federation Starship that you acquired yesterday, looks an awful lot like my Wolf-class starship, a design I drew a few years ago, only the once you show is TOS era

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

The Wooksta!

It's pre-TOS - it's the USS Ares from the fan film "Star Trek: Axanar"

Here's the prelude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA&t=938s

But the guy in charge, Alec Peters, has well and truly poisoned the well for Star Trek fan films.  His handling of Axanar has caused a lot of controversy and at least one major court case.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitnut617

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 01, 2020, 08:41:05 AM
But the guy in charge, Alec Peters, has well and truly poisoned the well for Star Trek fan films.

Seems to be a common theme these days, my son says the same about the last three Star Wars movies.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

Way back in this post,

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 01, 2020, 08:41:05 AM
Today from Glasgow - very restrained!

Freightdog Supermarine 227 "Shrew"

And I can't remember the name of the trader/manufacturer, but they do a lot of commercial trucks and I found a 1968 BMC van that looks to be a dead ringer for the one used by Reegan in the Doctor Who story "The Ambassadors of Death".  However, I can't find a photo of it online.

I said I picked up a BMC truck and wanted to do it as Reegan's van from the Doctor Who story The Ambassadors of Death.

Anyhoo, I've found a site with a load of relevant screen grabs, and a pair of them:

There's a lot more screengrabs from the full story, all 7 episodes of it here:
https://tygerwhocame2t.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-ambassadors-of-death.html

I just need to order some Airfix astronauts so they look a bit more like these dudes:

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

That's the dreaded JU van, built with a riveted body because the factory where it was made hadn't got a hefty enough power supply to run spot welders!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Metro Hobbies had a boxing day sale.  It would have been rude to not join in.

AMT 3in1 Customising Boat Kit by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Wanted one of these for a while.  Glad they re-popped it.

Italeri Zundapp KS750 with Sidecar by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
When I was a kid my Uncle had two model motorcycles in a display cabinet.  A BMW Rennsport road race combination and one of these (the original Protar release I suspect) in DAK colours.

Zvezda A-90 Orlyonok by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
This I will scaleorama into 1/72.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

A Roden 1:144 C-141B, intended to end up as a colorful, civil, shortened C-141A, maybe even with new engines - I still have four surplus turbofans left over from my recent DC-8/2 build.

NARSES2

First addition for 2020 was the 1/72 Sword Seafire multi boxing. So in actual fact 5 kits  :thumbsup:

Seafire Mk IIc
Seafire Mk III
Seafire Mk XV Early
Seafire Mk XV Late
Seafire Mk XVII
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Had a nosey in a charity shop  while out with the dog earlier, and broke my no more kits rule  already.  Like you  do. I found  a kit of the Airfix red arrows Hawk  in 1/72nd scale, had a quick  look  inside the  scruffy box to make sure  it was all there and found  thay there was two of rhem in the same box, but  there could be some  parts missing  by the looks of it.  3 quid well spent  though.  I think it is the 1998 boxing  and it comes with  canon pod,  matra rocket pods and some  free fall bombs.  Not sure  whether these are  540's or 1000lbers. Can anyone here  shed any light on what they  could be please.
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Wooksta!

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 02, 2020, 06:07:24 AM
First addition for 2020 was the 1/72 Sword Seafire multi boxing. So in actual fact 5 kits  :thumbsup:

Seafire Mk IIc
Seafire Mk III
Seafire Mk XV Early
Seafire Mk XV Late
Seafire Mk XVII

Does it come with all the spare wings/fuselages that the original separates came with?

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 02, 2020, 02:44:10 AM

A Roden 1:144 C-141B, intended to end up as a colorful, civil, shortened C-141A, maybe even with new engines - I still have four surplus turbofans left over from my recent DC-8/2 build.

Using those spare CFM-56s makes SO much sense, as that's exactly the engine swap that MD made with the DC8-70 series aircraft.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit