Canadair CL-16 SabreTwo

Started by kitnut617, December 20, 2019, 05:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

All of a sudden there's all these F-86D 2-holers popping up,  I think I'd better get mine into the line-up too.

Some months ago I started cobbling some bits together as I had an idea how to make a twin fuselage aircraft with swept wings look reasonably good.

It started like this. The center wing here is just a bit of paper.

But then after sorting out all my F-86's/FJ Fury kits, I got to the TF-86 conversion and thought this would be what was needed on the twin fuselage project.

So I added in a fuselage plug which is the same length as what the TF-86 got. I've made up the center wing out of styrene here too. The canopy comes from the Falcon TF-86 conversion.

But it's advanced a bit further than that, I cast up a wack of bits like cockpit tubs, fins, drop tanks etc and then I moved the whole cockpit forward 1/4" (6mm) because I thought that the rear cockpit would impede on the engine bay. And I've added the tail plane in styrene.

Now it's at this stage.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

Now that's different ! Pretty wild tho !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Cheers Todd ---

The original plan was to have the cockpits and the associated radar equipment in the port fuselage, and no weapons. I then thought I would group a quartet of 20mm's in the upper nose of the starboard fuselage right where the radar would have been but not needed in this side. Then the idea was to have three FFAR trays just behind this gun bay, with the original tray at the 6 o'clock position, and the other two at the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions.

After a lot of pondering I've now change that to have the FFAR trays in both fuselages at the 6 o'clock position, plus a pair of either 20mm or 30mm's in both fuselages like where they are in the F-86K, then have four AIM-4's in weapons bays in the area where the cockpit/radar equipment would have been in the starboard fuselage.

Right now that's where it's at ---

Tophe

:thumbsup: Wonderful Twin-Sabre! And a little asymmetric (cockpits),  I love it! :wub: :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

DogfighterZen

Normally, twin fuselages on one aircraft aren't my thing but that big boomerang wing may end up changing my mind... :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kitnut617

Thanks guys ---

I tried all the various wings that F-86/FJ Fury's got and none of the smaller ones looked right. The FJ-4 wings seemed to be the way to go. But then having a single cockpit in each fuselage didn't look right either, wasn't until I started matching up the TF-86 parts that the idea sprung into life. But in the end all I've used of the TF-86 is the canopy --- which happens to match up with  the F-86D windshield very well.

Mind you, if anyone has made a Sea Vixen ----- like the FAW.2, the fuselages here are like the booms on the Sea Vixen, only bigger. and of course there's no cockpit/engine pod in the middle ---

sandiego89

Great work, can really see this one has made you think about it- a fun project!

Like the blanked off right fuselage.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 21, 2019, 10:45:13 PM

Done by the same design office who did the Tri-Stang actually.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 21, 2019, 11:32:23 PM
Quote from: sandiego89 on December 21, 2019, 10:45:13 PM

Done by the same design office who did the Tri-Stang actually.  ;)

Well, it's in the same building ---   ;D    :lol: :lol: :lol: