BP Defiant

Started by Geoff, December 18, 2019, 10:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

I have seen a picture of a Defiant fighter sans turret and with wing cannon. Could the defiant handle the weight of wing guns along with the turret, or is it one or the other?

PR19_Kit

Give it a long enough runway.........................  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 18, 2019, 11:27:51 AM
Give it a long enough runway.........................  ;D

Or longer wings ---  ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

There's the P.94 which flew, single seat, twelve .303s.  Alternative armament was four cannon plus four .303s.  I'm pretty sure it would be either-or with a Merlin

Upping the ante,  the P.96 was a Defiant with a Centaurus or Sabre.  There were five versions:
P.96A Sabre, two seat (back seat for AI radar operator), no turret, six fixed cannon.
P.96B Sabre, turret plus two fixed cannon.
P.96C Sabre, turret plus four fixed cannon with a slightly larger wing
P.96D version 1, Centaurus, two seat, no turret, six fixed cannon, larger wing.
P.96D version 2, Centaurus, turret plus four fixed cannon.
All had AI radar, the back seater operated it in the tandem seaters, pilot in the turreted aircraft.

If you do a Google image search for both types, you'll see plenty of pics.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Geoff

Geoff

I was thinking either a version of the P-94 with 2 20mm and a few 303s. Or a standard Defiant in Finnish service in place of the Roc. Not made up my mind yet.

Mossie

Both sound good.  I've always thought they'd rationalise the armament down a bit, four plus four seems a lot for a Spitfire sized machine.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

Stick a Griffon in it  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Geoff on December 18, 2019, 02:24:02 PM
I was thinking either a version of the P-94 with 2 20mm and a few 303s. Or a standard Defiant in Finnish service in place of the Roc. Not made up my mind yet.

If you're going that route, stick a Martin turret with .5's in it ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Geoff

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 18, 2019, 04:42:22 PM
Quote from: Geoff on December 18, 2019, 02:24:02 PM

If you're going that route, stick a Martin turret with .5's in it ---

I do like that idea for an USAAC one

Mossie

I've seen drawings for a 2x 20mm turret too.

Doug K

There are a lot of Defiant drawings online, and quite a few whiffs too. Many of them on this forum (I had my wee Defiant phase myself). The airframe offers a lot of scope for creativity.

Geoff

Is it possible for a standard Defiant to carry a small bomb load underwing for army co-op?

Mossie

Yes, they were fitted with hardpoints for small bomb racks but only the prototype flew with them.  The points were utilised in the ASR version for carrying dinghys.

This build of the ASR version shows were the racks went:
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/172-bp-defiant-mk-i-asr-a02069

Geoff

Quote from: Mossie on July 19, 2020, 12:57:06 PM
Yes, they were fitted with hardpoints for small bomb racks but only the prototype flew with them.  The points were utilised in the ASR version for carrying dinghys.

This build of the ASR version shows were the racks went:
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/172-bp-defiant-mk-i-asr-a02069

Cheers