Boeing P-32A USAAC Far East Air Force

Started by nighthunter, December 14, 2019, 12:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nighthunter

The Boeing P-32A was the result of the Boeing YP-29/XF7B program that flopped by trying to improve upon the Boeing P-26 "Peashooter". Boeing went back to using a fixed undercarriage on a low wing monoplane. Replacing the originally planned 700hp Pratt & Whitney R-1530 with a Wright R-2600-3 Twin Cyclone with 1,600hp, armored cockpit, equipped with 4× .50 cal (12.7mm) machine guns, and self-sealing fuel tanks, the Boeing Model 268 caught the eye of the USAAC procurement board, but with most other pursuit aircraft using retractable landing gear, the USAAC chose the Seversky P-35, instead. Boeing then offered the Model 268 to other countries, such as the Republic of China, Thailand, Mexico, Cuba, Finland, and the Philippines, All 5 countries made orders, due to the fact that the aircraft handled well and could land on rough fields. As World War 2 started, the Thai government got too close for comfort, to Imperial Japan, for the US State Dept, so the 28 Model 268s destined for Thailand were instead shipped to the Philippines for the USAAC's Far East Air Force, designated P-32A, and assigned to the 35th Pursuit Group, that was already en-route to the Philippines. In China, they were used by 1 squadron of AVG pilots and ROC pilots and held their own, spectacularly, against a similar design, the Japanese Ki-27 "Nate", mostly due to the superior horsepower and speed compared to the Nate.

Yes, Yes, I know, I had written a backstory long before, for my modified Fokker D.XXI, but couldn't find the original thread. So, I redid it. And I've made a load of progress, the aircraft is mostly assembled and going through the putty part of the process... Wish me luck!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nighthunter

jcf

nighthunter

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

nighthunter

Quote from: zenrat on December 15, 2019, 12:23:50 AM
You mean Boeing got it wrong?
;)
Not at all, you'd be surprised how many aircraft changed drastically from artist concept to prototype to production, lol. Then again, Fred, I believe you know that already, Lol!

nighthunter

Progress Report: First putty session sanded, and more putty applied to the wing roots, last night. Fokker pitot tube hole filled as well, new Boeing style hole placement on the books for tonight, as well as strut putty

zenrat

Quote from: nighthunter on December 15, 2019, 04:48:16 AM
Quote from: zenrat on December 15, 2019, 12:23:50 AM
You mean Boeing got it wrong?
;)
Not at all, you'd be surprised how many aircraft changed drastically from artist concept to prototype to production, lol. Then again, Fred, I believe you know that already, Lol!

;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

nighthunter

Update:

Still in the putty and sanding stages. Just cant seem to get part of the wing root properly smoothed.

nighthunter

Update: The model lost its struts in the process of moving. Trimmed and sanded the remainder, and found new struts from a Mirage 3 kit and slowly regaining momentum.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: nighthunter on August 19, 2020, 09:11:07 PM
and found new struts from a Mirage 3 kit and slowly regaining momentum.

Was that the single or double bay version of the Mirage  :angel:  Made me smile that line, thank you  ;D :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Pictures showing progress:

Decided to go with Airfix FW-190A landing gear instead, worked out better, I think.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]