Bolton Show 2020

Started by Howard of Effingham, December 04, 2019, 10:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

January 19th, 2020 at the Premier Suite, University of Bolton Arena

Does the What if? SIG have a table here as usual?
Keeper of George the Cat.

Martin H

we do have space booked. However I wont be able to attend as one of my team beat me to it for booking the dates off. (holiday is a first come first served thing)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Wooksta!

You don't look very well - are you coming down with something?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Martin H on December 08, 2019, 12:51:04 AM
we do have space booked. However I wont be able to attend as one of my team beat me to it for booking the dates off. (holiday is a first come first served thing)

I'll speak to Richard if you haven't already Martin. More than happy to help here. Sorry you were beaten to getting the time off  :angry:

NARSES2

Can't make this unfortunately. Been offered an NHS appointment, and as I've been pressing them for a fair few months I can't turn it down.

Will be at Huddersfield/Halifax however, all being well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

I'll be going, and I have tablecloths and display stuff if needed.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Weaver on December 29, 2019, 06:29:12 PM

The matter of cloths and display items is being sorted out Weaver but hold them in readiness just in case.

Weaver

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on December 29, 2019, 10:26:13 PM

The matter of cloths and display items is being sorted out Weaver but hold them in readiness just in case.

They just stay packed so it's zero bother to throw them in the car. They've been to quite a lot of shows where you never saw them.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones '

Martin H

Quote from: Weaver on December 30, 2019, 05:19:46 PM
Quote from: Howard of Effingham on December 29, 2019, 10:26:13 PM

They just stay packed so it's zero bother to throw them in the car. They've been to quite a lot of shows where you never saw them.

I will be dropping off the display stand and cloths with Richard at the first Coventry club meet of the month. so all should be as usual for the show.
But certainly no harm in having a back up plan just in case.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Nick

I'm sort of debating driving up there tomorrow or very early Sunday. But is it worth it for the 4 hours drive each way?

What time will it open?

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Weaver

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2020, 11:07:43 AM
I'm sort of debating driving up there tomorrow or very early Sunday. But is it worth it for the 4 hours drive each way?

What time will it open?

10 am

- Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Well something doesn't think I should go tomorrow - first my false tooth fell out and an hour later I've just cut myself with a bread knife, of all things (been years since I did that).

I'm going to ignore the signs and portents and go anyway, so if Bolton falls into a previously unnoticed black hole tomorrow, it's my fault, okay? :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones '

Weaver

Well that went off well, despite me being spectacularly disorganised, :rolleyes:

Our table was a bit thin since only myself, Trevor and Richard had models for it, but it looked okay and got a fair bit of attention despite being up on the mezzanine this year. My lunar rover got photographed and commented on quite a bit and Richard's Triebflugel provoked much discussion. The show was good and well attended despite the weather, with many high-quality models on the stands and a fair few bargains to be had. The only problem I'm aware of was outside the club's control: the food counter (a fixture of the venue) ran out of half its menu by midday.

Weather was 'interesting' in the Chinese curse sense of the world. Bright clear sunshine at home, to the point where sunglasses were needed, then five minutes later, as I dropped into Stockport, pea-soup fog which persisted all the way to the M61, whereupon somebody switched the sunshine on again. Sadly the fog had gained ground by quitting time so the whole journey home was unpleasant and I was glad I wasn't going further: I do hope that those who were had safe journeys.

Unfortunately, one of the many things I didn't bring was my camera, so I have no pics to offer.

Stash additions were limited to a couple of 1/72nd Tonkas (a Revell GR.1 and an Italieri F-3, the latter from Trevor's sale box) and an Academy 1/144th Su-22 Fitter, which my gut is convinced I need although my brain can't tell you why. For £2.50 it wasn't worth worrying about though. The rest was all paints and tools.

- Indiana Jones '

The Wooksta!

Was a good show, but being decidedly under the weather and somewhat out of it - apologies to those of you who I met there - I just didn't enjoy it that much.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: