Decals on a sphere?

Started by nönöbär, November 30, 2019, 08:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Well, this is sometihng I am experimenting a bit, but without success so far.

I know how to make own decals, used this for several models now. But now I need to make a decals (a name) that should be located on a sphere.

If I just make a name decal and put it on the sphere, it does not look like good because it has not the right "curvature" (don't know if this word explains it - sorry no native english speaker).

So does anyone kow how to make such a decal that is bend the right way that it looks "good"?

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

TheChronicOne

Oooh... I have some ideas...  If it's just text, grab a marker and write the text onto an orange....... then peel it and you'll be getting closer to having a template. You'll have to cut gaps in in at certain places to get it to work but after a bit of trial and error you could hone in on something that works then you can replicate the orange peel in your paint program. Think of map projections of the Earth.  Of course, things will depend on placement and orientation.

Worth a shot!

-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

There is geometric way of transferring the curvature (yes it is the correct word  :thumbsup:) onto a flat surface, but I really can't remember what it is. The Earth's globe to a flat surface uses the Mercator projection, but I'm not sure if that's the general one or specific to a the Globe ? Might be worth a search on-line though ?

Sorry I can't be  more helpful.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Mercator is one of many map projections, and is one of the most distorted, it does not
map back to a sphere.

The easiest way is to do it is simply one letter at a time.

Cutting darts (triangular cutouts) in the backing film between the letters may also work,
depending on size and length.

TheChronicOne

Hence "projections" in my original post just as a starting point. The picture was reference only as one of many examples just to get the brainstorming going.

I tried to find a picture with text split by one of these but I couldn't (quickly) but I think that would help explain what I meant. I'll try again later.  ;D

EDIT:  Nevermind, mine isn't Mercator anyway!  :o  I read something wrong I think. Hell, just ignore me.  ;D   Splitting them up into individual letters like Jon says sounds like it would work pretty darn good with minimal fuss.
-Sprues McDuck-

rickshaw

Individual letters would work but you would need a line on which to place them, to make sure they are all aligned properly.   I would recommend working out the circumference of the object you want the decals to be attached to and drawing a single line on it.  Then attach the decals.  I am sure there is a mathematical way of drawing a set of curves on a flat surface to represent the circumference of a sphere but it is beyond me!   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

This is the sort of complicated projection they made us do in engineering drawing classes instead of interesting stuff like designing vehicles.
I can't for the life of me remember how to do it mathematically or on paper but if the name is aligned with what on a planet would be called a line of latitude then the letters would have to be in a curve of radius equal to the length of a tangent drawn between the centreline of the name on the surface of the sphere (the line of latitude) and the spheres vertical axis.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on December 01, 2019, 08:00:55 PM
Individual letters would work but you would need a line on which to place them, to make sure they are all aligned properly.   I would recommend working out the circumference of the object you want the decals to be attached to and drawing a single line on it.  Then attach the decals.  I am sure there is a mathematical way of drawing a set of curves on a flat surface to represent the circumference of a sphere but it is beyond me!   :banghead:

A line isn't that hard to make a line on a sphere, here's a quick and dirty way, the same basic method
is used to draw waterlines on boat models.
http://manningkrull.com/manningmakesstuff/drawing-latitude-and-longitude-lines-on-a-homemade-globe/

https://www.modelerscentral.com/tools-paints-glue/hand-tools/marking-measuring/waterline-marker/

A regular drafting circle template also works provided the sphere isn't too large, you just drop
the appropriate diameter opening down over the sphere to where you want the line.

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 01, 2019, 12:53:09 PM
Mercator is one of many map projections, and is one of the most distorted, it does not
map back to a sphere.

I remembered that latter on Jon, but for the life of me can't remember what the others are. It's all a very long time ago  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Most commonly used projections distort the Southern Hemisphere (understandable given most land mass is North of the equator as were the mapmakers) which can be see by how far down the equator is.
However, I favour MacArthur's Universal Corrective Projection.

If anyone is interested in this subject and wants some reading I recommend A History of the World in Twelve Maps by Jerry Brotton.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 03, 2019, 01:54:41 AM

If anyone is interested in this subject and wants some reading I recommend A History of the World in Twelve Maps by Jerry Brotton.

I'll endorse that  :thumbsup:

For some reason I now can't get Pythagoras' Theorem out of mind ? Mind you I did once have to write it out 500 times (longhand) for talking during a maths lesson. Reckon I could sue the school for child cruelty if that happened now  ;D

Rheged

I do like McArthur's map!!  As to Pythagoras,   one American first nation lady had two sons and sat on an exotic animal skin whereas the others didn't.  Thus, "the squaw on the hippopotamus  is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides".........or something like that.

Sorry, I'll go and hide elsewhere..........
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on December 03, 2019, 11:17:00 AM

Sorry, I'll go and hide elsewhere..........

After that nowhere you can go will save you from the searching masses  ;D ;D ;D