Republic Rainbow Airliner

Started by TomZ, November 16, 2019, 09:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Republic Rainbow Airliner

Developed in 1943 the Republic XF-12 Rainbow was meant as a fast long range reconnaissance aircraft. It was the fastest large aircraft of its time. Because of the end of the war it did not enter into production however.
Republic had always intended to also build an airline version of the aircraft to be known as the RC-2. Fuel capacity would have been increased, and more powerful (at lower altitude) P&W R-4360-59s were substituted in place of the P&W R-4360-31s on the U.S. Air Force version.

The aircraft was lavishly appointed for the 46 passengers and seven crew. It was fully pressurized to sea level, air conditioned, with an electric galley providing hot meals and with an inflight lounge. It had the ability to cruise above the weather at 435 mph at 40,000 feet.

The launch customer for the RC-2 Rainbow was American Overseas Airways who operated the rainbow on their route from New York to London from 1945 onwards. The aircraft could fly this route non-stop at a cruise speed of 400mph making the crossing a lot faster than the Douglas DC-6 which had to make a stop en route and had a much lower cruise speed.
The Rainbow served with a large number of airways and was only replaced by the jet engined DC-8 and Boeing 707 in the early 1960s.

Kit: Anigrand 1/72 resin

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Truly wondrous Tom.  :thumbsup:

The Rainbow has always been one of my fave aircraft, and in an airliner version it looks even better than the USAF PR version. Superbly done.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Wow!!! Pretty cool, what a good idea!!
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Yeah buddy, it's as if someone wanted to make something to compete with the Connie to take the beauty contest.  :mellow:

"Here he comes, Mr. Tom . . . "
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

Cobra

Superb Build,Tom :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Really looks Cool as an Airliner, if You Have Another,Howabout making it into a US Coast Guard Rescue plane? Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

KiwiZac

Beautiful. I don't think I've seen more than one other example of this kit built online, let alone as an RC-2. Wonderful work!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

NARSES2

Absolutely gorgeous.

Well done Tom  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Yes very smart.  I knew of the XF-12 but not the RC-2 that I read about on Wikipedia.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rheged

That's a very attractive aeroplane.  It would even stand  later conversion to jet power without losing any of its looks.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet