Rod Stewarts Model Railway

Started by Nick, November 13, 2019, 09:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

We all know Rod Stewart for singing slightly unfashionable tunes and a liking for leopard print clothes. But he is a serious railway modeller and has a 124ft long setup at his LA mansion.  ;D
Instead of smashing up hotel rooms on tour, he built mini skyscrapers!  :thumbsup:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7678617/Rod-Stewarts-secret-hit-track-Veteran-rocker-finally-lets-world-legendary-model-railwa.html?fbclid=IwAR1vxHlV6mwmOi9unfEB7HFivZhxVpYSChGT9q6p_vtIQ361nhM8K34OGV0

Leading Observer

No wonder he stuck his hand in his pocket to help the Market Deeping Club after their displays were vandalised earlier this year - he knew exactly how he would have felt if his layout had been trashed
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

zenrat

Daily Liar website wants me to turn off my ad blocker.  No way is that going to happen.

They were talking about this on the radio today.  Apparently when he's on tour he rents an extra hotel room just to build in.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

There's been a couple of detail pics of his layout published in Model Railroader Magazine a couple of years ago, but they gave NO idea of the scale of the layout! Those skyscrapers are truly AWESOME!  :wub:

And I love the Pennsy roundhouse, it dwarfs my N gauge one, by a factor of about TEN!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

He phoned in on the Jeremy Vine Radio 2 show yesterday to correct a couple of the hosts comments  ;)

I've always liked Rod ever since I first saw him live in a pub in the 60's, seen him many times since and now the railway just makes me like him more  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

A bunch of us on the APT project went to see Rod in Concert in Leicester sometime in '73 I think.

We bummed a ride there on the APT itself and came back aboard a parcels train in the small hours, all using our 'duty passes' of course.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 14, 2019, 06:36:11 AM
He phoned in on the Jeremy Vine Radio 2 show yesterday to correct a couple of the hosts comments  ;)

I've always liked Rod ever since I first saw him live in a pub in the 60's, seen him many times since and now the railway just makes me like him more  :thumbsup:
I had radio 2 on when he called in, and to make it even more interesting Jools Holland also called in. And there they were two rail nuts talking shop live on radio 2. And to cap it off there was Steve lemaq from BBC 6 music (another rail nut) geeking out in the studio. A most enjoyable half hour of a normaly very dull "current affairs" show
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 14, 2019, 06:36:11 AM

I've got a very early ('67 to '69) Jeff Beck LP on which Rod sings.  Very good.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

I remember, many, many years ago seeing a TV Show about how Hollywood raises money for charity by having sports carnivals.   There was Rod Steward playing football.  What most Americans didn't know was that Rod Steward used to be a professional footballer before becoming a pop star and all the Americans were wondering why he was able to basically beat them at anything they tried on the football pitch.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Nick

Rod used to live up my way and built a full size football pitch in his garden. Upset the locals and the council as it was in a green belt area but then he let the local youth team play football there. That shut them up!

My mates kid was part of the team and Rod would be out there at matches shouting encouragement. Really nice bloke. Baz said it was alright as long he didn't start singing at half time....  ;) :wacko:

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on November 15, 2019, 03:39:00 AM
There was Rod Steward playing football.  What most Americans didn't know was that Rod Steward used to be a professional footballer before becoming a pop star

That's one of those stories that has done the rounds for years. He was a very good schoolboy footballer and played for Middlesex Schools. He went for trials at Brentford who were a third division side at the time but was never asked back nor signed for the club. He's quite open about this in he's autobiography and says he still doesn't understand where the story that he had been a professional came from.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

It's been quite noticeable since this story broke how many more of his old classics are being played on the radio stations I tend to listen to. Seems to be one an hour now  ;D :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Beautiful layout and very well done. I'll have to go google more pics. Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?