Warbirds Over Monroe, NC + P-40 Flight

Started by AeroplaneDriver, November 11, 2019, 10:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

First post in a while...life's been in the way of modeling for a while.  Hopefully winter will bring more time for styrene.

Anyhoo, this past Sunday I went to the annual Warbirds Over Monroe airshow just outside Charlotte NC.  It was my first visit to he Monroe Executive Airport in years and it was pretty fun since I worked there as a Flight Instructor in the early-mid 90s building flight time.  Many great memories in those skies.  And one more made this weekend when I splurged and took a flight in the only dual control P-40 in the world!  What a ride.  It was short but I got about 10 minutes of 'stick time'.  What a bird!  I can finally say I've flown an honest to goodness WW2 fighter. 

The one I flew started life in the USAAF in New Guinea.  It had three kills before being shot down and landing gear up in a field, where it was left until found for restoration.

Enough talk,  here are some pics from the flight and the other stuff on display. 

NC Forestry Service Air Tractor AT-802F

The movie "Memphis Belle"

Berlin Airlift C-54

All strapped in, ready to go.

My seat.

Takeoff roll

Overhead for the break!  I was flying at this point!

The break!  Pulling a couple of Gs onto the downwind bleeding off speed from 210 to 170 to lower the gear. 

Landing roll wave.

Over way too soon.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

KiwiZac

What a fantastic experience! I too am very jealous but at the same time extremely happy for you!

But the P-40 pedant in me must pick on you for one detail:
Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 11, 2019, 10:02:13 AMAnd one more made this weekend when I splurged and took a flight in the only dual control P-40 in the world!
Not true - Kermit Weeks has a genuine TP-40N (American Dream is a straight P-40 restored - a second time, after a landing accident in Oz - to TP config) and there are three or four other examples with partial or full dual control that I can think of off the top of my head.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

AeroplaneDriver

Fair enough...there are other dual control P-40s...but none are "Genuine". All were converted post-war.  Regardless...hell of a flight. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Some of the pics have vanished.  I can see four.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KiwiZac

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on November 20, 2019, 08:53:55 PM
Fair enough...there are other dual control P-40s...but none are "Genuine". All were converted post-war. 
Not quite true. Palm Springs Air Museum has 44-7084 which is in single-seat configuration but was converted to a TP in 1944 and Kermit Weeks' aircraft is in TP config as built. Goodall lists 42-105927 as a TP-40N but in a quick Google I've found no evidence to back that up.

I'd love to have stick time in a P-40. Amazing!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Rheged

What a lucky Aeroplane Driver you are!!  I regret that I too cannot access the pictures, so I cannot fully appreciate your event.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Captain Canada

Wow ! That's so awesome. Especially to be in one that has kills ! Pics need to come back tho !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Yeah, that's odd. When you posted the pics a while ago I saw them easily. They're not there now ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

The people demand a picnic ! I mean the pics, Nick !

:rolleyes:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?