Teford 2020

Started by The Wooksta!, November 11, 2019, 09:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

Early start for this thread but it's something of an empassionsed plea.

I had a look at the competition this year and saw that the what if side of it was woefully underattended - the Mushroom Monthly trophy only had 2 entries.   

Next year WILL be better!  I'm asking - nay, pleading! - with you all to come up with something that we can all blitz it with.  It would be a rying shame if this trophy were to go as it's one of the few that we have.

Over to you!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

I'm 100% behind that idea Lee, let's show them what we Whiffers can REALLY do in the Mushroom next year.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Don't think that I will be able to put anything in the competition as I won't be able to attend. It's the weekend that one of my nephiews has decided to get married on so it woould be very difficult to get out of  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Suggest he gets married in Telford then. Simples.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Good call Lee.  Have entered in the past so another stab wont hurt.  Given my build rate it's best I start now!

EDIT - Ideas:
1.  I know what I want to do with the Skyhawk I got at Telford
2.  Reworking a Gladiator/Bf110 mash-up into a Bf110/Sturmovik/Ford Trimotor mash-up
3.  Finish the Bristol Beaumaris
4.  My biggest whif - a rebuild of something I built a long, long time ago that really could do with the front end of a FROGspawn Wyvern, or indeed any battered old FROG Wyvern so long as the fuselage is intact.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 11, 2019, 01:45:56 PM

There MUST be a honeymoon suite in the TIC Holiday Inn.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: kitbasher on November 11, 2019, 03:05:45 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 11, 2019, 01:45:56 PM

There MUST be a honeymoon suite in the TIC Holiday Inn.

Wicked evil man! But I like the plan.....  :wacko: :thumbsup: :wacko:

But as for the SMW 2020 I have several things I could build in larger scales.

#1 1/48 CF-188 A or B recce version
#2 1/48 S-3A multi role....
#3 1/48 F-16XL single or two seater USAF ANG markings

Items #4 and #5 on this list remain 'highly classified' for now but thanks to Dork the Kit Slayer for providing the kit and hence the inspiration for #4!  :thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

Weaver

There were a number of whiff in the competition in categories like 'Aircraft - hypothetical' but only a few in this particular one.

Can someone enlighten me about this particular 'Mushroom' category please? What is it for and why?

EDIT: I don't see it in the list of categories here: https://ipmsuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/IPMS-UK-SMW-2019-Competition-Classes-and-Trophies-V2-2019-08-22.pdf
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

It's Class 32, if they don't change the numbers yet again.

In days gone by it was called 'The Mushroom  Monthly Trophy' because it was sponsored and judged by Roger Wallsgrove, the editor of Mushroom Monthly Magazine. Then the IPMS hierarchy got a bit sniffy about the numbers of models being entered and swallowed it into the main competition. It's always been in the 30s, but has changed Class Number quite a few times in the past.

When I entered my 777-900 a few years back it was in Class 33, 34 AND 35, all at the same time.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 12, 2019, 06:07:19 AM
When I entered my 777-900 a few years back it was in Class 33, 34 AND 35, all at the same time.  ;D

Well, it needed to be 3 categories to fit the bleedin' thing in! ;D :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Good call Lee. I'm up for it and have a couple of ideas. If I give myself enough time I can work around the eyesight issues.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

So, no-one's going to TeLford, next year, just this new Teford place? :unsure: :angel: :P
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 12, 2019, 08:37:34 AM
So, no-one's going to TeLford, next year, just this new Teford place? :unsure: :angel: :P

Yup, it's an L of a place!

Weaver

In days gone by it was called 'The Mushroom  Monthly Trophy' because it was sponsored and judged by Roger Wallsgrove, the editor of Mushroom Monthly Magazine. Then the IPMS hierarchy got a bit sniffy about the numbers of models being entered and swallowed it into the main competition. It's always been in the 30s, but has changed Class Number quite a few times in the past.

So it doesn't include Class 80 - Hypothetical Military and Civilian vehicles then?

The steampunk dragon trophy was next to the entrants (small airship, 2 x Spitfires, Japanese Komet) but it doesn't appear on the list of trophies on that document I linked to.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on November 12, 2019, 09:16:48 AM

So it doesn't include Class 80 - Hypothetical Military and Civilian vehicles then?

The steampunk dragon trophy was next to the entrants (small airship, 2 x Spitfires, Japanese Komet) but it doesn't appear on the list of trophies on that document I linked to.

I think Class 80 is relatively new, as The Mushroom did occasionally have some vehicle and armour entries, but IIRC none ever won a Mushroom. Presumably because Roger was/is a hard over aviation guy.

I'm proud to say I have two Mushrooms,  ;D one for the original PR19 and one for the Hawker/Convair Osprey a year or so later.

Regards
Kit