RW: Warbird Wurger! Flug Werk FW190A-8/N in 1/72

Started by KiwiZac, November 02, 2019, 07:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Hi folks,
During the 1990s a German firm called Flug Werk produced about a dozen new-build Focke-Wulf Fw190s for warbird collectors and museums. We're lucky enough to have the prototype flying in NZ and appearing at airshows (though I still haven't managed to see it fly). One was based in France until it was forced to ditch in the sea in 2010 or so, it was sold to Germany and restored by the wizards at MeierMotors. Operated by Hangar10 at Usedom this aircraft - registered D-FWAA - was the star of a recent event held at their home base last month. There are several videos on YouTube showing Klaus Plasa displaying this aircraft and I recommend you take a look.

For my model of D-FWAA I used the Airfix Fw190 kit, what a delight it was! I made a couple of modifications to make it more resemble my subject (air intake above the cowl and oil cooler outlets on the wings) but it was otherwise OOB.

by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr

I'm now looking for an excuse to buy another Airfix 190 as this was such a fun kit.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

Another good one Zac.  This should get people thinking.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

Thanks gents.

Fred: even better for that purpose was this Revell kit I built about eight years ago as a Jurca MJ-80 homebuilt replica, powered by a Pratt & Whitney 1830 with DC-3 prop (one of these did fly in Germany but hasn't been seen after a landing accident):
Anton2 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
antong4 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

ISTR being impressed with the Airfix FW 190A-8 while partially building it to chop up for a whiff.
Maybe I should build one OOB.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 06, 2019, 01:16:30 AM

I would and if a Wif what about Italian ANR ? Would look slightly more unusual then the normal 109's ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 06, 2019, 05:58:23 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 06, 2019, 01:16:30 AM

I would and if a Wif what about Italian ANR ? Would look slightly more unusual then the normal 109's ?

I've never managed to pull off a Luftwaffe mottle i've been satisfied with so a RW scheme could be on the books.  However, i'm picturing a 190 with smoke rings and it is a good mental image.
Fred

NARSES2

I've a transfer sheet for late ANR types and some late 109's didn't have mottle.

A lot of their Italian types also had 3 colour upper schemes which I've used a fair bit including on a Fw 190D.

This is not one of mine (wish I was half way to this quality) but gives a good idea of the 3 colour scheme.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/italian-stallion-pt-2-1-48-fiat-g-55-centauro-aero-t52039.html

zenrat

Fred

NARSES2

Yup and the plains of Northern Italy are heavily cultivated as well.