Seeing Double: Glasgows Second Subway

Started by Nick, November 01, 2019, 04:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Glasgow is renowned for the 'Clockwork Orange' Subway. Small cramped trains on a single underground loop. But plans exist to build a second loop covering the East of ths city.

https://www.citymetric.com/transport/what-would-extended-glasgow-subway-look-4001

NARSES2

First time I travelled on the Glasgow Underground and the train came out of the tunnel I burst out laughing, I couldn't believe how small it was, Suggested to my colleague that this was perhaps where the London Underground trains came for training when youngsters. He wasn't that impressed  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

They borrowed our 'Ride Meter' in the 70s and flat didn't believe how bad the numbers came out, and the next time I was up there I collected the meter and pointed out that their vehicles didn't have any secondary suspension so I was surprised the numbers were as good as they came out!  :o

Their new stock is a zillion times better apparently, but I've yet to ride on it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doug K

There is new stock on the way to the world's second oldest subway in the world. The present trains go back to the 70s, I can almost remember the old stock (now in various museums) when I was very young.

They have been talking about extending it for years, none of us are holding our breath. Glasgow and Scotland as a whole doesn't have the clout or funding of TfL.

As for the size? Glasgow folk were on average 4 inches shorter than they are now 😉

kitnut617

All these grand schemes of the politicians --- and after Scotland separates, it will become even more of a pipe dream (or is that tube dream  ;D )
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Doug K

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 02, 2019, 01:34:08 PM
All these grand schemes of the politicians --- and after Scotland separates, it will become even more of a pipe dream (or is that tube dream  ;D )

Perhaps the £1.4bn that Scots taxpayers are presently contributing to Crossrail might have paid for it?

NARSES2

Quote from: Doug K on November 02, 2019, 12:41:24 PM

As for the size? Glasgow folk were on average 4 inches shorter than they are now 😉

That's an interesting fact across a lot of what was heavy industrial Scotland, England and Wales and leads to some interesting architecture, especially in pubs  :cheers: Also why a lot of WWI military uniforms in museums appear to be on the smallish side. Try trying some of the caps on  :mellow:

Quote from: Doug K on November 03, 2019, 12:27:05 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 02, 2019, 01:34:08 PM

Perhaps the £1.4bn that Scots taxpayers are presently contributing to Crossrail might have paid for it?

I'll leave these posts but PLEASE leave it at that, there are valid and interesting arguments all across the board on this, but this is not the place for them.

Thank you

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.