Dragon StealthHawk OOB

Started by Faust, October 23, 2019, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

There's nothing quite like the unknown to get the old imagination cranking. One facet of this from a modelling perspective is to embrace sci-fi subjects. However, there's another way to go about it, and that's "What-If" or "whif"-type subjects. Of course, for some of us, both are equally as much fun, and my stack of anime kits and Luft '46 creations attests to this.

One of the cooler Whifs that's kind of real, but still not really known, is the stealthy Blackhawk (?) derivative used in the raid on Osama Bin Laden's compound. Sure, the raid left a tantalizing souvenir in the form of a tail rotor pylon, but even after that, little has come to light about the chopper, and the entire program remains rather closely-guarded.

Amazingly, only Dragon (so far as I know) has bothered to try to kit this famous "boogeyman" of an airplane, and sadly only in  1/144. Still, as far as Whifs go, it's a pretty cool subject, and the small scale only helps hid that not a lot of detail is known about the bird. Check out my out of box review for it below; make sure you're wearing a tinfoil hat, though, first!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/dragon-1-144-stealth-blackhawk-oob/

PR19_Kit

I  DO like the look of that, and with some 15 thou styrene it shouldn't be TOO difficult to 'update' a standard UH-60 kit. (Says he, full of bravado!)

I loved the review, not only a good review but a good laugh as well.  ;D

Nice one Faust.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

We need more reviews of that quality!   Well done.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2019, 12:32:52 AM
I  DO like the look of that, and with some 15 thou styrene it shouldn't be TOO difficult to 'update' a standard UH-60 kit. (Says he, full of bravado!)

But the reviewer doesn't have up-to-date informaions.
It has been recently revealed that the tail left outside the compound walls it's a FAKE, dropped by a run-of-the-mill Blackhawk (the real choppers used in the operation) just to confound modellers. ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Nick

I might look out for one of these next month. Great review!  :thumbsup:

Faust

Quote from: loupgarou on October 24, 2019, 04:05:52 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2019, 12:32:52 AM

But the reviewer doesn't have up-to-date informaions.
It has been recently revealed that the tail left outside the compound walls it's a FAKE, dropped by a run-of-the-mill Blackhawk (the real choppers used in the operation) just to confound modellers. ;D

OMG that's perfect! I literally did laugh out loud that that! Well done!

Thanks, too, guys, for the compliments. I'm glad everybody enjoyed the review!

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr