R.W. FH-1 Phantom (plus what-if extra)

Started by TheChronicOne, October 23, 2019, 02:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Finished this today. Details in my C.R.A.P. bog for those interested but it was really a normal, mundane, no frills build and I'm sure nothing in the process would be new to anyone here so I'll dispense with the details. I also took a few pics of my F-51N because it's the only other model I have of the same era and of similar styling.

It's the old first run MPM/CMK boxing in 1/72. Brush painted with hobby paints and gloss cleared. I would have probably toned that gloss down some but I don't have the appropriate clear on hand right now. The plane is supposed to be glossy anyway, but in scale, I think mine is a bit TOO glossy. Still, I'm not bothered. Maybe it's a CAG bird or something so they polished the hell out of it.  ;D :thumbsup: 

I think the Phantom is a lovely airplane. Something about these old jets I really like...; before everything became swept and sharp. I think it's pretty, but then again my taste in aircraft is questionable because I disagree with those that say the Phantom II is ugly and think it's a good looking aeroplane too.  ;D 

So, here she is. I hope you like it! 

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Thanks, hoss!!  I'm thrilled with it. This sucker has been rolling around in the back of my mind for some time now, I'm glad I built 'er up.

Seems I missed a picture.

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Wow Brad, it's very BLUE, isn't it?  :o

Somehow it looks a totally different aeroplane to the Phantoms they flew in the normal, rather dark blue.

Interestingly the colour's almost an exact match the colour of the letters in my 'BLUE'.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

What a brightful colour! :o

Looks good, Brad! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fab.

:thumbsup:

Quote from: Flyer on October 23, 2019, 04:22:02 PM
Sweet!  :thumbsup: :mellow:

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 23, 2019, 02:13:51 PM

I think the Phantom is a lovely airplane. Something about these old jets I really like...; before everything became swept and sharp.

Agreed!  :thumbsup:

Seconded.  It's not quite as lovely as the Banshee but it is still good to look at.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

As I've said in your blog mate "I like that"  :thumbsup:

Just discovered I have that kit in the stash, in the old style MPM black and white boxing. Might still acquire the new tool at SMW though. RCN ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

I like that too!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
These old fighter jets have a special something... Although i'm more of a modern fighters guy, there are a few of these jets that I really like and there's a kit in my stash of each.  :mellow:
This reminds me I have the Airfix Banshee in it's box waiting to be completed...  :rolleyes:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Thanks a ton, y'all!!! I like that blue color but I was WANTING the same shade I got out of the Mustang there. It's the same exact paint, just with different clear on it. Problem is, I RAN OUT of it (satin clear) and I'm broke right now so I just pressed on with the ultra gloss bright blue.  Now it's whif.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

chrisonord

Marvellous build  Brad, I  could  see one of these with long wings and in a high altitude paint  scheme.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TheChronicOne

HMMMMMM....  now that would be cool!! Throw some U-2 wings on it or simply extending these, since the shape of them is so cool at the rear.

Thanks!! 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 27, 2019, 01:48:51 PM

HMMMMMM....  now that would be cool!! Throw some U-2 wings on it or simply extending these, since the shape of them is so cool at the rear.

They'd need double, or even triple folds, like a Gannet to it down the carrier lifts with wings that long!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Man, every time I hear something new about the Gannet, it just gets cooler.  :mellow: ;D   
-Sprues McDuck-