Why are depth charges so ugly?

Started by The Rat, September 15, 2019, 02:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

What's with the front end on most depth charges? Why flat? I can understand the barrel shaped one going off the side of a ship, all they need to do is sink, but even most airborne depth charges seem to be designed in the must unaerodynamic way possible. Is it to prevent them sinking too quickly, and allowing the depth sensors to get an accurate reading?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

rickshaw

Quote from: The Rat on September 15, 2019, 02:06:21 PM
What's with the front end on most depth charges? Why flat? I can understand the barrel shaped one going off the side of a ship, all they need to do is sink, but even most airborne depth charges seem to be designed in the must unaerodynamic way possible. Is it to prevent them sinking too quickly, and allowing the depth sensors to get an accurate reading?

Basically, yes.  They were designed to hit the water and sink slowly, to allow the hydrometric pistols (fuses to laymen) to explode at the right depth.  They were usually dropped either beside or just in front of a diving submarine and you don't want it to go too deep until the submarine is amongst them.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

They also work on pressure waves, not shrapnel or flame, & the cylindrical shape packs more explosive into the length of the bomb to give a greater pressure punch.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Thanks Gentlemen, my thought was basically confirmed. Now I have to carve the end off some bombs from the spares bin if I get ambitious with this Australian ASW Wellesley.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

zenrat

It has a fork rest but nowhere for the knife or spoon...

:unsure:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

dogsbody

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Snowtrooper

Hmmm. Would it have been possible (or was it actually done?) with the technology of the time to have the nose and tailcone detach when the depth charge hits the water? I'm no expert but on a hunch, making the fittings loose enough could probably cause them to shake off upon impact...

This way, you could have had the benefit of a more streamlined shape, more accurate drop, but still have the proper slow sink rate in water. :thumbsup:

zenrat

Quote from: Snowtrooper on September 24, 2019, 03:45:12 AM
Hmmm. Would it have been possible (or was it actually done?) with the technology of the time to have the nose and tailcone detach when the depth charge hits the water?...

Just have them made by British Leyland in the 1970's.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

The Rat

Lots of good info here, thanks lads! I'll probably make them look like flat-fronted charges, because why not?  ;D